Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
12492335

I have a Liftmaster Model 1260 Garage Door opener. Yesterday,

I have a Liftmaster Model 1260 Garage Door opener. Yesterday, I opened the door using my remote control. The door went beyond the fully open position and finally stopped when the chain trolley hit the stop bolt on the guide rail. When I hit the pushbutton switch on the wall, it appeared that the door was still trying to open. The motor hummed and the power timed out. I removed the outer cover on the opener unit. It appears that the screw driven center limit contact had reached the stationary up contact. However, it is behaving like this didn't happen. Unplugging the power and plugging it in again did not help. Any suggestions?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using Just answer.com.
I've had this problem and tracked it down to oxidation of the limit switch contacts. I polished the copper contacts with 400 grit sandpaper until the dull brown oxidation was removed. End of problem.
I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Stephen, I thought your suggestion sounded like a good idea. Even though the contacts looked good, I cleaned as you recommended. However, this did not solve the problem. When I hit the pushbottom the motor hummed and timed out after about 1 second. I also tried bypassing the contact points (that I had sanded) by placing a jumper from the terminal on the center (moving) contact and the terminal on the stationary (Up) contact. The problem was not solved.
Perhaps your opener lost its memory.Do you have your operators manual? Look for "training the door to recognise travel limits". This usually involves the force setting as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My unit was built in August 1996. The owners manual that I obtained on-line does not have any instructions for training the opener memory. I doubt if it is that sophisticated.
There is one last possibility before I suspect the main board. Because cleaning and jumping the travel limit switch did not stop it from overtraveling, There is a remote chance the wires have a breach somewhere. Check for continuity of each side of the wire from the switch to the terminals on the opener the wires connect to. If you don't have an ohm meter, you can close the door, then while opening it, jump the limit switch contacts on the opener. If that stops the travel immediately upon jumpering, the wires are bad.
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience: 35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next