Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
5098113

What is the building code in NJ regarding front step railings

Customer Question

What is the building code in NJ regarding front step railings? Do you need a hand railing when you have 3 consecutive steps or what if there is a landing in between?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rich replied 7 years ago.
Hello .. The OSHA rules require handrails for stairs of 4 or more risers .. how many risers are there in your stairs ??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is a curved walkway that has 1 step, then a landing, then 2 steps then a landing then 4 steps and a small landing and 2 steps. Do I need a railing all the way through or only on the 4 steps section? I am trying to buy a home and making this fix to comply with a FHA loan regulation.
Expert:  Rich replied 7 years ago.
HMM .. in my opinion I would have to say that it is only trequired on the 4 step section ..    NJ Residential code is 4 risers for handrail requirements ... I think that the NJ rehab code says 3 risers or more ... but there are more criteria for those requirements
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience: Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Rich replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome ... Thank You for the accept !!
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Per IRC, railings are required for any set of stairs or decking that is 30 or more inches above grade. You could begin the railing at that point, however the presentation would be that of Three Stooges Construction- good for a laugh!
There are exceptions for Handicap access, and Historical Districts. For handicap see ADA website. For Hysterical Districts see your local zoning. Where railings are required, the baulisters must prevent a 4 inch sphere from passing through, and the hand rail must be minimum 34 inches as measured vertically from the tread nosing.