Home Improvement Jay
Home Improvement Jay, General Contractor
Experience:  Construction, mold remediator and pest control
14716023

How do I get rid of mold spores in my house

How do I get rid of mold spores in my house?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  DOCDEV replied 7 years ago.
Hy Troy.

Can you see or smell mold inside your home , or do you suspect mold contamination due to allergic symptoms??

Dr.Dev MD, FCCS, Cardiac Intensivist
If you found this helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for my work. Please take a sec to leave POSITIVE feedback.
Please feel free to clarify further queries.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I suspect mold because of allergic symptons. I had ahidden water leak and my carpet got soaked.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Now What?????
Expert:  Home Improvement Jay replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

I work in the mold remediation industry and will be able to help you with the information you need.

The only way to know if you have a high elevation of mold spores is to have an air quality test done. There are companies that specialize in this service. What they will do is come to your home and take an air sample in the areas in question and then take a sample outside of the home. The test will show what mold spores are present and at what levels. Some mold spores will be found in the home in natural levels because our natural world is filled with mold. However, there are mold spores that should never be found in the home. The air quality test will clear up all the doubts you have about what is present in your air.

If you are having difficulty with allergens it may be a good idea to have your air condition unit and air ducts cleaned. Mold will often form in the duct system and can be spread throughout the home just by running the AC. This does not mean that mold is deadly either, some people have different reactions to mold, just like an allergen.

Because you had a previous water leak it also does not mean that you have mold. If the walls and building materials were dried properly in a timely manner then you should have no problem. If it was an on going leak then it may be worth opening up the wall in the area and see if any mold is growing on the inside of the walls or underneath the carpet.

For mold to thrive there must be water present and a cellulose food product. For example, the paper on the back of drywall, wood, plaster, etc....If you do find mold then the remediation will often be covered under you homeowner's insurance policy. It is best to allow a professional company to undertake the mold remediation if it becomes necessary.

Check your local yellow pages or do an internet search for companies that specialize in Indoor Air Quality or mold remediations. There are many franchise companies that specialize in this work, such as ServPro and PuroClean.

Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have. I will be more than happy to elaborate on any concerns you may have.

Experience: Construction, mold remediator and pest control