Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
12492335

My pool liner is stained brownish/black color on the bottom

Customer Question

My pool liner is stained brownish/black color on the bottom completely, except 1' all around the edge of the 24' diameter. Local pool stores advise me to put vitamin C in a sock & rub it out, to test to see if it comes off. It does with vigorous scrubbing. Black algae trmt. liquid

Pool stores sugguest this is the only way to remove the stain or spend money to try "First Aid" or find "Jack Magic".

Online research confirms this method is used, but a "sequestering agent" is also required - not sure what that is or is best.

Currently I have 1' of water in it, where it's easy for me to reach to scrub.

I keep the winter cover on to protect it from the sun. My pool is 20years old, the only problems I ever had was pink algae, which I could always get under control, and once needed to floc - (I pray I never need to do again). Have diatemaouse (sp?)filter & granulated chlorine, 3 solar panels.

Besides replacing the liner, what is the most effective way resolve?

Thanks!

Pam
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com</p><p>You've mentioned everything except liquid chlorine and pool shock. I recommend dumping in 3 or 4   2.5 gallon jugs and let the chlorine eat it off. Another alternative it to adjust the Ph range to an extreme that will kill the black algae, re-adjust Ph, then do the chlorine. It works in my cement inground pool. It brushes right off.</p><p><strong>I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well.</strong> <strong>Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!</strong></p>
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience: 35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I forgot to include I dumped 3 gallons of chlorine in the 1' of water after using the algeacide, it made no difference. is this for sure algae if it doesn't float? Are you sure by me putting in 10 gallons of chlorine into my 24' round pool with 1' of water that it won't effect the integrity of the vinyl liner?
I do not know anything about your particular liner, however in view of the fact that chlorine is part of your regular chemical maintainance, and if the liner was succeptable to chemical attack by chlorine, the liner would fail whether there was a ratio of 60water to 1chlorine or 1200water to 1 chlorine. I cannot imagine a pool liner being manufactured from vinyl which is succeptable to chemical attack. It must also resist attack from muriatic acid and ultraviolt radiation.
As for algae floating- I have only seen this happen to one pool where the pool was totaly neglected with no pump circulation and no chemicals, and open to the sky. In my own pool algae begins clinging to the walls then works it's way to the bottom. I shock it, dump in 3 jugs chlorine, let it set overnight, then brush the walls and floor with a brush on an extension pole. I run the pump non stop. I wash the filter every 2 or 3 hours until it remains pretty clean, then every 8 hours. In your case it would be backwashing the filter.
The algae will bleach to white and cloud the water at first. If the pump is left off long enough this bleached dead algae will settle to the bottom and you can vacume it up in the evacuation mode.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll give it a try over the holiday weekend, thanks!
Don't let holiday guests in the pool with the elevated chlorine levels! Depending on how much stabilizer you have, probably little because bromine algacides neutralize the stabilizer, sunlight will drive the chlorine out of the water. Rainwater seems to knock down the level too.