How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hrdwrknman Your Own Question
hrdwrknman, Handyman
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 102
Experience:  Done it all - carpentry, electrical, remodel - commercial & res. maintenance
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
hrdwrknman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how to fix press wood furniture

Customer Question

how to fix press wood furniture
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  hrdwrknman replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!


I'm here to help you with your furniture repair. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the repair that needs to be made? It would be easier for me to advise you. Otherwise, I might give you a bunch of information that you don't need.

Let me know if you need help posting pictures as well.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you dearly

You guys seems so helpful already I must recommend everyonbe I know here in The Bahamas to you guys. But not to drift off I am unable to send the pictures right now but I will when I can. What I can do is try to give a description of how the futrniture looks. Ithere are (2) dressers or bureaus, a computer table and a end table.
They are standard press wood furnirute, the top of the furnitures have small swellings on them from probably liquid spilling. The layer that is over the furniture to give it the wood-look(the surface area) is peeling all over and you can take your hand and scrape the wood particles; which looks a bit sponge like, they come off very easily.
I was wondering if I can sand off the area that is peeling well the whole thing, and sand down the water bumps and then restain the whole thing. But I have a feeling that won't work so I am seeking your advice.
I am planning to move and really cannot afford to buy new furniture unless the Lord sends a blessing, so I figure that I would fix up the existing ones and try and spray the appliances as well.
I have a white fridge and stove that I want to spray black I am also seeking information on how to go about doing that. the fridge and stove is rusting the stoven is smooth but the fridge is textured i was thinking abvout sanding those as well and spraying both pieces black.
Expert:  hrdwrknman replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but this type of repair is often more trouble than it's worth. First, pressed wood furniture is basically tiny wood chips that are mixed with a glue, and then cut to size. Then they are covered with a veneer. When moisture gets through the veneer, it dissolves the glue causing the bubbles. It also breaks down the wood itself. What you are thinking of doing will remove the bubbles, and maybe make it smoother, but if you sand through the veneer, the stain will look very different compared to the surfaces that still have the veneer on them.

There really is no good way to fix furniture of this type and keep it looking good.

As far as your appliances are concerned, you can spray paint them, but you should first use some fine sandpaper, or a 3M abraisive pad to roughen the surface. Also, try to sand as much of the rust off as possible. Then, use a good primer to seal it first, so the rust will not seep through. This will make the new paint stick better. You can buy paint that is specially designed for appliances as well.


I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck with your upcoming move as well. I'm here for any follow-up questions you may have.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • You did one super job of explaining to me everything there is to know about this fridge. I'm looking forward to asking you questions in the future. Jimmy Bagley, IA
< Previous | Next >
  • You did one super job of explaining to me everything there is to know about this fridge. I'm looking forward to asking you questions in the future. Jimmy Bagley, IA
  • Thank you for the expeditious answer. It's good to know you're out there and awake in the wee hours when I finally have time to ask questions about my Jenn Air. Jean Riverhead, NY
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY

Meet The Experts:

  • Brian



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
< Last | Next >
  • Brian's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
  • The Home Smithy's Avatar

    The Home Smithy

    Home Builder

    Satisfied Customers:

    #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
  • Steve G.'s Avatar

    Steve G.


    Satisfied Customers:

    VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
  • StructuralEng's Avatar


    Civil Engineer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Structural Engineer
  • Eric M. Bright's Avatar

    Eric M. Bright

    We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've been been doing things for my clients that others have said cant be done for over a 1/4 Century
  • Rich's Avatar


    Home Improvement Enthusiast

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
  • Phil's Avatar


    Mechanical Engineer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Retired contractor, 51 years experience