hrdwrknman, Handyman
Experience:  Done it all - carpentry, electrical, remodel - commercial & res. maintenance

how to fix press wood furniture

Customer Question

how to fix press wood furniture
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  hrdwrknman replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I'm here to help you with your furniture repair. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the repair that needs to be made? It would be easier for me to advise you. Otherwise, I might give you a bunch of information that you don't need.

Let me know if you need help posting pictures as well.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you dearly

You guys seems so helpful already I must recommend everyonbe I know here in The Bahamas to you guys. But not to drift off I am unable to send the pictures right now but I will when I can. What I can do is try to give a description of how the futrniture looks. Ithere are (2) dressers or bureaus, a computer table and a end table.
They are standard press wood furnirute, the top of the furnitures have small swellings on them from probably liquid spilling. The layer that is over the furniture to give it the wood-look(the surface area) is peeling all over and you can take your hand and scrape the wood particles; which looks a bit sponge like, they come off very easily.
I was wondering if I can sand off the area that is peeling well the whole thing, and sand down the water bumps and then restain the whole thing. But I have a feeling that won't work so I am seeking your advice.
I am planning to move and really cannot afford to buy new furniture unless the Lord sends a blessing, so I figure that I would fix up the existing ones and try and spray the appliances as well.
I have a white fridge and stove that I want to spray black I am also seeking information on how to go about doing that. the fridge and stove is rusting the stoven is smooth but the fridge is textured i was thinking abvout sanding those as well and spraying both pieces black.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but this type of repair is often more trouble than it's worth. First, pressed wood furniture is basically tiny wood chips that are mixed with a glue, and then cut to size. Then they are covered with a veneer. When moisture gets through the veneer, it dissolves the glue causing the bubbles. It also breaks down the wood itself. What you are thinking of doing will remove the bubbles, and maybe make it smoother, but if you sand through the veneer, the stain will look very different compared to the surfaces that still have the veneer on them.

There really is no good way to fix furniture of this type and keep it looking good.

As far as your appliances are concerned, you can spray paint them, but you should first use some fine sandpaper, or a 3M abraisive pad to roughen the surface. Also, try to sand as much of the rust off as possible. Then, use a good primer to seal it first, so the rust will not seep through. This will make the new paint stick better. You can buy paint that is specially designed for appliances as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck with your upcoming move as well. I'm here for any follow-up questions you may have.