Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next

How do I determine the number of exits required for a 4 story

Customer Question

How do I determine the number of exits required for a 4 story building (B use factor) with a building size of 100ft. x 200ft. Consider the exits access requirements as well as exits. Show how you calculate this.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using There will be 2 exits per floor. All areas must have direct unobstructed access to both exits. The fire stairway can be interior, or exterior. Self closing fire doors are required in stairways. The exits should be on opposing sides or ends of the building. 2 exits times 4 floors equals 8 exits.
I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im sorry. I neede it explained like a math problem, ex: 100 X 200= 2000 X4= 8000 divided by ? to get the # XXXXX rooms. Can you show it to me like that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am still waiting for a resonse to my last reply. I needed the answer to my question in the form of a math answer with the calculation.
The number of rooms times 2 ways out each(access requirements), plus 2 common exits each floor times 4 floors. The number of rooms are the controlling factor and are not derived from the square footage.
I meant number of rooms a controlling factor, which has not been provided, and so is the sticking point in proceeding further with the calculation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I get someone else to help me with my question?
You sure can. It looks like this is not a firecode question, but rather some kind of homework question so I sent your question to Homework category. You might want to rephrase the question eliminating references to firecode exits.