Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next

A bottom roller in my garage door is off the track. How can

A bottom roller in my garage door is off the track. How can I put it back to the track?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hi & thanks for using</p><p>I need some more info to help you. Is this the very bottom roller which is mounted in a square plate, to which the lift cable is attached?</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, The roller is located in right side if my garage door when I look at it from inside.
OK- There's a couple of ways to do it. They are both based on angling the roller into the track. One way is to find the point at which it angled out of the track. This most likely would be a point of imbalance (door bottom not level) as a result of worn/tired springs, or slipped adjustment of the springs. Ride the roller against the track as you open the door. look for the point that it is closest to going back in. At that point you can use a bolt like a nailset and tap the roller edge back into the track.
The other way to do it is to open the door all the way to relieve tension in the spring( you may have to disconnect the opener ). With the tension relieved, unscrew(unbolt) the mounting plate at the edge farthest from the edge of the door. Loosen the screws/bolts on the edge of the mounting plate closest to the edge of the door but do not remove them. Angle the plate by lifting the edge, farthest from the edge of the door, up off the face of the door. With the mounting plate angled, the roller will be at an angle that will allow it to slip back into the track. Once back in, retighten all screws/bolts. Next check your springs to see that they have equal tension(sag/slack). If not adjust the looser of the two until they are equal. Operate the door slowly by hand and watch for out of level operation. You must correct out of level opersation or the roller will eventually jump track again.
I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!