Jason Martin
Jason Martin, Handyman
Experience:  Over 10 years Home Remodeling, Repair and Maintenance

I have a hot springs spa that has only one minor problem.

Customer Question

I have a hot springs spa that has only one minor problem. The moto-message does not go up and down. The little pipe was broken I ordered the replacement and installed it. When it didn't work I guessed that the little flex pipe had come off, but its ok. With the device turned on you can tell that it comes up off the floor but it will not travel up and down continually like it should. can
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jason Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer Home Improvement!

Do you have a Sovereign from 2003?
if not, what is the make and model?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I I hope that the mesage got sent. 8 year old hot springs jetsetter. thanks, Don
There is a possibility that your filter is causing a problem. When was the last time your filter was cleaned?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3 new filters - Hot springs OE filters.
Have you taken out the moto jet? When you do, you will notice how it should be limp and hang straight. If it is crooked or shaped weird, it will need replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I have done that. It does hang limp and stright. If I knew what makes it go up and down it could most likely be fixed.
An air valve makes it go up and down.
I am looking for a diagram to see if I can show you where it is located. Should be just a few minutes....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I repair the air valve? Is it in the end of the flex thing?
Yes, you can repair the valve. Look at the pic for info in regards XXXXX XXXXX piston:

pic1

pic2
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The valve works fine. It's late. If you are able to or would consider checking with a hot springs tech, I would be appreciative. Thanks, Don

Oky, it seems like you have done thorough job eliminating the common problems. I will contact the Hot Springs tech on your behalf.
If you want to accept this, i will post up tomorrow what I find out.
I am in contact with HotSprings. I will keep you informed of any info I receive.
Here is an email I received today from the tech at HotSprings:

"The two contributors to a failed moto-massage are usually clogged
filters or the selector handle being in the wrong position. From your
description it sounds like you've done your trouble-shooting.

The only thing I can suppose is that the moto-massage assembly simply
needs to be replaced. Over time the hot water and chemicals can cause
the rubber tubing to lose its elasticity and that may be the cause of
this malfunction.
"