The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

average cost per square foot for a glass enclosed patio when

Customer Question

average cost per square foot for a glass enclosed patio when place over esisting slab
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

The cost of your enclosed patio will depend heavily on how you wish to have it built.

It can be completly custom

graphic

It can be simple yet still require quite a bit of work

graphic

It can be a whole new addition to your home

graphic

It can even be two storys.

graphic

As you can see I will need for you to be a bit more specific regarding exactly what it is you are looking for in a sun room.

Awaiting your reply.

Best; THS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the patio has a roof line like the 2 story, only it is one story - it will be buit on an existing slab 22x16 with no additional foundation work needed- the slab will have a tile floor
Ok. So you are saying the roof is already there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, the roof and three sides of glass walls need to be installed

Ok.

I have a concern here about the slab. If its was not poured to support the added weight of a roof system you could easily end up having to redo it in less than a year.

As a designer-builder I have been to many job bids where the customer wanted to do just that. They had a patio poured with no footings and wanted to build on a sun room or addition to the existing home on top of the patio slab.

Unfortunately concrete is not as strong as people think it is. Especially in a shear situation. It will snap like a twig in August. Concretes biggest strength is in compression. But even that still requires some reinforcing. If inadequately reinforced it will fail horribly. Just like the 408 Cypress freeway in Oakland Ca. Or the 14 interchange in North L.A., or the 210 freeway in Northridge.

I'm sure that you don't want the same thing to happen to your new sun room.

If you have adequate footings then please let me know and I will work up an estimate for you. I will need to know what you want it made of (eg:wood, metal) The pitch of the roof, type of roofing material (eg: tile, asphalt shingles, etc.), whether the glass will be from ground level or a few feet up, and how wide you will allow between window panels.

Best; THS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
City oked the footings, glass begins at floor level, window width of four feet acceptable, don't know pitch of roof, just want a rough estiment

ok

Rough framing including posts and cut and stack roof sheeted and asphalt dimentional roofing applied 22' x 16' $1,600.00 not including materials of approximatly $1,400.00.

Installation and cost of tempered windows 6'x4' each at $450.00 per pane. $3600.00 total.

Added up comes to $6,600.00 addin 15% administration fees $990.00. Overrun costs of 10% $660.00

Total to construct sun room = $8,250.00

This does not include the tile work, interior drywall, or electrical work. You can figure about $800.00 for drywall taped and textured. Tile at $2.50 and up per square foot (depending on the type of tile). Electrical will be depedant on what you want installed.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me before you accept.

Feedback is how we make sure we provide the best answers available. A simple "good job" is all it takes. Please help us to keep our answers the best available by leaving feedback after your question has been answered.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Here is a picture of a project I just completed of a patio cover. Total cost to customer was $3600.00

graphic

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
good job

Thank you.

And thank you for the accept.

Best regards; The Home Smithy