Inactive
Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------

why does my air conditioner freeze up

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.

- What your going to need to do here is clean the filters if they are clogged up. If the filters are clogged, then the heat will not have any way of being taken out resulting in your coil and surrounding lines freezing up.

- Next you will want to make sure that your coil itself is clean. To access this, you will need to remove the side panel on the air-handler. Then coil sits above the filter and looks like the radiator of a car. If there is any residue, mold or plain old gunk built up on it, then you will need to call a service tech to come out and remove the coil, acid wash it and your unit will run fine.

- One last thing, if your unit has a leak, again you will have to have an AC tech come out. When he re-pressurizes your unit, he will inject a dye to see where the leak is so he can fix it. Any one of these conditions will cause this problem. Start with the most obvious first (the filter) and work your way from there.

Inactive, Electrician
Experience: ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: Is it complicated to remove and re-attache the side panel once I have cleaded it?
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
You will need a 5/16ths nut driver or socket to remove the 5 or 6 screws that hold the side panel on. Once you open it up, you will see your air filter. Remove it and hold it up to the light. If you cant see through the filter, then it is clogged and will need to be changed out. But you will have to use judgement when doing this. If it looks extremely dirty, then definately change it.

After you do this, that is when you will inspect the coils, they will be above the air filter in the same space. If that looks clogged up - it will need to be professionally cleaned.

Start with the filter first. If your coils are frozen, give them a chance to melt before running your unit again. After inspecting and or changing your filter - and it freezes up again, you will need to call a tech.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Joseph.

Keith.