The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

how do you get pine needles out of landscaping rock and ...

Customer Question

how do you get pine needles out of landscaping rock and crushed brick landscaping material?thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

Hello Tenatena,

This is a very common problem in many areas, and it's not an easy fix. They have rake heads that can help, like this one, that are made for pine needles, but I haven't found them to be very helpful. The best thing I have found is a leaf blower on a low setting, depending on the rock size it can blow the rocks as well. I've known people to use shop vacs or other types of vacuums as well as using something like this and burning them. Again, depending on the volume of rocks, you could take them all out, wash them and put them back, but unless we're talking about a very small amount, this would be a chore. You could look at it as a once a year (or two ) job. If you decide to go the burning route, there's a few things to keep in mind

• you have to check your local ordinances on burning
  • how close it is to the house or anything else that could burn
  • whether or not the rocks will scorch or melt

Someone else mentioned a power washer, but I think that would wash the rocks away as well.

Let me know if you want to talk more.

Chase

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: ive tried all but the burning ,im not quite sure about this one.the area is quite big ,??12by 100??????????/what do you think?would burning mess with my white rock ?im almost positive it wouldthe red crushed brick ,im not so sure???????????help
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

I couldn't say whether or not it would affect the rock, I hven't tried it myself, although I know people who have and said it didn't affect theirs, and aftr a couple of rains the scorch and ash was gone. It would absolutely depend on what the rock is made of and what you have planted there. You could always take a small amount, make a pile and try it and see if you like the results. Have you tried the leafblower as well, that seems to work ok (but not perfect) for me. If nothing you do works, you may have to call in a professional.

Chase

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have called in a professtional ,they had the same ideas as me and you
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.

I apologize that I have not been more helpful, I can opt out if you like and see if any of our other experts have any ideas? Let me know

Chase

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
o k thanks for trying ,yes ,please ask someone else their ideas.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ms Chase's Post: sorry ,im not gonna push the accept button,thanks anyway
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Mrs Chase has opted out and I would like to add some additional information to her great answers. I have successfully removed pine needles such as this by using a leaf blower with a vacuum attachment. First I vacuumed the area and then I used the blower feature to loosen more of the needles. Then I would vacuum again. Repeat this process until the needles are removed. You need to be careful not to rev up the engine too much if using a gasoline blower when using the vacuum feature since it can vacuum small stones if the speed is up. With a little practice the needles will be easy to remove. Burning with a propane torch can be used but you need to be very careful and have a water hose handy if the fire should get away from you. If there are not many needles this process would not bother either the rocks or the crushed brick. If there are a lot of needles I would suggest that most should be removed using the vacuum attachment on the leaf blower. Click here to see a leaf blower with a vacuum attachment. A Billy Goat Vacuum will work very well but is more expensive. See the Billy Goat operate in the video below.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not accepting thanks anyway,i guess ill just have to live with the pine needles
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
Would you like for this question to be closed or would you like another expert to reply?
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

There is a device that a friend of mine made a few years ago that worked great for his rock garden. It is not commercially made so you would haver to make and adjust it yourself. It involves PVC piping and using a hack saw to do some cutting. Also you would need a shop vacuume. These are available for about $50.00 at the big box home improvment centers.

Please advise if you would like for me to draw up the plans for this device. I will then post it here for you to see, and print out, or just download onto your computer.

It is really not a difficult tool to make. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being washing the rocks, and a 1 being hiring someone to do it for you, it comes in at about a 3.

Awaiting your reply; THS