Inactive
Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
5968364

i have a flat top grill that keep burning the wires

Customer Question

the wires were connected by a wire nut it burn the wire nut off
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 years ago.
Is this a home cook top or RV cook top?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka-Moose)'s Post: it a resturant

This question should be in the homeimprovement category but I am also a home improvement expert.

First step is to verify both ends of the wires are good and clean. Next step is to make sure the wires are good and wraped tights before wire nutting. Now if it still burns up then your cook top element has an internal short causing high resistance and the resistance is going to heat up in the weakest link which is the wire connection.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka-Moose)'s Post: so how do i fix it
If the wires are checked and connected correct then you need to rpelace the heating element. On some models its internal in the cook top and on some it is seperatly mounted underneith
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka-Moose)'s Post: what you mean the cook top.
Is this a flat cook top or a normal round eye stove?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
flat top grill so if just cut and clean the wires and recoonect it should be good and how would i know if the element is bad
If you verify the wiring is connected good like I previously statedm and it still burns up then you have a bad heating element which will have to be replaced.
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

The reason your wire nuts burned off is because of the extreme heat that is produced by your flat top grill. The wire nuts are only plastic - so any heat will melt them. What you need to do is get ceramic wire nuts. These are rated for extreme heat. Or you will need to connect the wires using small split bolts and sealing it with rubber tape. Once your connections are tight and re-done the way I state, it will be fine.

Now the other thing is - you need to make sure the wiring is the proper size. If your wire is too small, it will cause overheating as well. 30amps should have #10 wire, 50amps should have #8 wire. Both wire sizes will be copper.

Hope this helps you out. If you need further assistance with this question or just need further clarification - please don’t hesitate to ask.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Electric Doctor ----- A Just Answer Verified Electrical Expert!!!

Don’t forget to put “Question for Electric Doctor” in the Subject line!!!

Inactive, Electrician
Experience: ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
really did help the problem was water or should i say steam was getting in