Inactive
Inactive , Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
5968364

what causes frequent light bulb burn-out?

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

The most common reason for this is loose connections. Sometimes you will get a bad batch of light bulbs, but what I tell customers is this. Once you retighten all your connection on the lighting circuit, get light bulbs that are rated for 130v. These filaments are tougher and will last longer than cheaper light bulbs. When looking for these bulbs, dont look at the box. That just tells you what the light bulb will work with. Rather - you will need to look at the top of the light bulb to see the voltage rating that is stamped on the bulb itself.

Hope this helps you out. If you need further assistance with this question or just need further clarification - please don’t hesitate to ask.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you explain what you mean by tightening all of the connections on the lighting circut? I have two lights on a three-way switch; one at the top and one at the bottom of a stairway. They are on a 15 amp breaker allong with several other lights and recepticals in the home. The only burn-out problem is with the two fixtures that are on the threeway switch. I have replaced the fixtures in attempt to solve the problemm and I have tried different quality bulbs (although I have not sought 130v bulbs specifically). Before I try to rewire the fixtures and switch, I thought I might find out if faulty wiring could be part of the problem.
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.

*****Click here to view my profile*****

What i mean is that if your using pushins on the backs of your switches, you will want to change them to pigtails.

This is a push in:

graphic

Here is what pigtail looks like:
graphic

Then you connect them to the outlet or switch like this:

graphic

Now once you change all this out, and it still persists, the other possibility is vibration from slamming doors etc. In that case the solution would be compact fluorescents. They are not prone to this types of instances. And the come with a 5 to 7 year warranty. So if it does burn out - it wont cost you any money.