Barry G.
Barry G., Handyman
Experience:  I have done many jobs in the home. From installing ceiling fans to garbage disposals. I know a little about a lot.

WHAT WOULD CAUSE HOT WATER ONLY TO STOP WORKING IN ...

Customer Question

WHAT WOULD CAUSE HOT WATER ONLY TO STOP WORKING IN ONE BAYHTUB/SHOWER ONLY WHEN IT STILL FLOWS IN THE ADJACENT SINK?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hi ..

is this shower a single handle faucet control ?? is there no water running into the tub without using the faucet ??

And it is just the hot water ,, right ?

Thanks ,,, Rich

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to electricaldick's Post: single handle faucet, cold water works in tub and shower, but when i turn faucet to the hot side, nothing comes out at all.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.

Hi There,

To help Rick out, what brand is it? Moen? Delta? Pereless?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Gary's Post: it is a MOEN
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.

Hi There,

You by chance wouldn't know which model / number you have would you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Gary's Post: It appears to be a discontiued model of MOEN - most likely, based on what I could research, the Chateau model L2353W which was discontinued 2/1/04. This is the spec page that looks like mine.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL: 1-800-BUY-MOEN
www.moen.com
CRITICAL DIMENSIONS
(DO NOT SCALE)
S p e c i f i c a t i o n s
CHATEAU®
Single-Handle Tub/Shower Trim Kit
Model: TL471
(Bulk Packed 12 per carton)
DESCRIPTION
• Metal construction with chrome plated finish
• Includes showerhead, arm, flange
and a slip fit diverter tub spout
• Supplied with adjustable temperature limit stop
OPERATION
• Lever style handle
• Temperature operates through an 180° arc
of handle travel (full cold to full hot)
FLOW
• Showerhead is limited to 2.5 gpm (9.5 L/min) Max
CARTRIDGE
• 1225 cartridge design
• Nonmetallic/nonferrous and stainless
steel materials
• Accommodates back to back installations
STANDARD
• Third party certified to meet CSA B-125, ASME
A112.18.1M, ANSI A117.1 and all applicable
requirements referenced therein
WARRANTY
• Lifetime limited warranty against leaks, drips and
finish defects to the original consumer purchaser
• 5 year warranty if used in commercial installations
THICK WALL APPLICATION THIN WALL APPLICATION
FLOOR FLOOR
6'- 6"
(1981mm)
APPROX.
PLASTER
GROUND
TUB/SHOWER
COMBINATION
MODELS 32"(813mm)
ESCUTCHEON
7" (178mm)
DIAMETER
PLASTER
GROUND
WALL OPENING4-1/2" (114mm)
DIA.
1-1/4"
(32mm)
2-3/16" (55mm)
MAX.
1-1/4"
(32mm)
PLASTIC
TUB/SHOWER
SURROUND
3-1/2" (89mm) MAX.
2" (51mm) MIN.
2-1/16" (52mm)
REF.
2-3/16" (55mm) MAX.
1-7/16" (36mm) MIN.
DIAMETER
WALL
OPENING
4-1/2"
(114mm)
6" min - 11" max
ADA
Rev. 9/05
There is more than 1 version of this model.
Page down to identify the version you have.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.

Hi There,

Thank you for getting back, this helps a lot. However, would you happen to have the old cartridge that you first took out? If so, can you send me a picture of it. Please take from differant angles and get a close up of it as well. Also send a picture of the fauset in the wall with cartridge out. Please make sure you get a close up.

I understand this may be getting frustrating, but most often happens when they discontinue a model is because the change something. Chances are that Moen has the part but under a differant name. We need to see what you have so we can identify it to get you the right part.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Gary's Post: what cartridge? I've never taken anything out. In fact, I've done nothing but realize there is no hot water flowing from the faucet!
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.

Hi There,

My bad, please excuse me. I tried to cross model numbers and can not find anything. Please check the model number that you mentioned as the closest and let me know. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX i am sorry about the confusion

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Gary's Post: I am basing this model information on the photos found on the MOEN website and the date the home was built. this is the only model that is even close on the the website. Once again that was --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears to be a discontiued model of MOEN - most likely, based on what I could research, the Chateau model L2353W which was discontinued 2/1/04. This is the spec page that looks like mine.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.

Hi There,

Enclosedis a link of two seperate moen fauset that you mentioned. They are the same model number but yet different. I need you to remove the handle from the fauset and look to see which one you have. If it isn't right, tell me which one is the closest.

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/TL471pt.pdf