The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

My couch springs have become weakened. When you sit down ...

Customer Question

My couch springs have become weakened. When you sit down you sink into the couch and it makes it difficult to get up again. There is nothing broken so I was wondering if there was a good method that I could use to add some support to the springs.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Hi Fix it 101;

I have had fairly good luck just running a couple 1" x 4" slats the legnth of the couch.

It does yeild some very shocked faces when one would break on occassion. But no one was ever hurt as the fall is only about as far as you are sinking now.

If that wont work for you then stuffing the couch with old rags also works.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: it is simple enough to place a couple of 1x4's to give support to the springs. This would make it very rigid though and I would suspect somewhat uncomfortable. I was hoping that there was a way to add additional springs or something of that nature to give it more support while maitaining flexability and comfort

The 1x's will not make it that hard. They have quite a bit of flex to them.

As they are riding on the springs they will still have some spring also. You can "tune " them by making them longer or shorter thereby setting them onto diffrent springs.