Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------

converting gas to electric range

our new home had setup for a gas range and we would like to convert to electric. Can you tell me what is involved and roughly what it would cost?
First you would need to purchase the electric stove - cost of which im sure you already know. Now as for the wiring - you will need to run an 8-3 w/ground copper wire. You can pick this up at any home improvement center. Then you will need to get a 50amp double pole breaker for the panel. Then you would need to 50amp 4 pole range plug. The total cost of the materials would be about $75 to $150 depending on the length of the run. Now depending on where your stove is located in reference to the panel, running this wire could be easy or hard. If you have a basement where the panel is, Easy. If not then you will find yourself "knotching and patching". This means you will be making holes in the walls and ceilings to get the wiring to the stoves location.

Now to help you out here - I made up a diagram for you to use for this type of installation:

let me know if you need anything further. Have a great night.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!!!

Inactive, Electrician
Experience: ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------

Most new homes are pre wired for an elec stove do you see a box behind the range ??