Inactive
Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
5968364

I want to run electricity to a new out building [12x20]for ...

Customer Question

I want to run electricity to a new out building [12x20]for lights and power tools. It will be about 100 feet away from home. I wanted to run wire from pool pump box but was told the wire would be too light. Can I replace the wire to the pool pump box with a heavier guage and then branch off to the pump and then go underground to the building? I want to run the wire myself and have an electrician hook everything up. Also, what is the proper guage and how deep do I bury conduit?
Thank you, Michael
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Ok - my first suggestion is that you dont mess with the pool pump wiring at all. Since you would need to run new wiring anyway - its best to just keep it fresh. Here is my suggestion - You will want to run wiring for a 50amp subpanel. This will give you the ability to expand upon your shop in the future if you needed to without extra expense. Install a PVC junction box on the side of your home next to the pool pump equipment. Then run 1-1/4" conduit from the junction box over to the new building. Dig a trench 24" deep and installl the conduit in the trench. Then run the conduit up to the new panel and pull your wiring through the conduit to the new panel. The wiring you will want to run from the panel to the junction box is 6/2 with ground SE cable. Then you will want to run #6thhn single conductor copper from the j-box to the new panel. You will need 2 runs of #6 copper with 1 run of #8thhn copper for the neutral. Then at the new building you will need 2 grounding rods.

Now here is a couple of pictoral diagrams for you to use for this installation. May help you understand better what you will need to do. Hope this helps you out. If you need further assistance please let me know. Have a great night.

graphic
graphic
graphic

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!!!

Inactive, Electrician
Experience: ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: 1. The power to the new PVC junction box by the pool pump comes from the main house panel and is 6/2?

2. #6 thhn (2 runs) and #8 copper from the new PVC box by the pool pump to the new building?

Thanks,
Michael
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Yes 6/2 SE cable has 3 wires in it. Two hots and a ground wire. Its a jacketed cable suitable for runnin from your panel in the home to your outdoor pvc junction box. Now you can run the same cable through the conduit, but you will have to increase the size to 1-1/2" PVC conduit. But the single conductor thhn wire is what is typically used for this type of application.

Now #6 wire is rated for 50amps. So using this cable will not give you any problems. If you go to any electrical supply house and you ask for #6 copper SE cable they will know exactly what your talking about.

Again hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

Michael