Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

I have a Bryant Plus 80 furnace. I cant locate the ...

Customer Question

I have a Bryant Plus 80 furnace. I can''t locate the filter. It might be inside furnace itself (there is no separate cabinet for a filter). How do I open the front of the furnace? (It''s vertical.) Thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the furnace?

What is the age of the furnace?

Do you have a digital camera that you could use to send pictures of the furnace if needed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: I've looked for the model #, but can't find it. This is a gas furnace (electric ignition). It is probably about seven years old (it came w/the house which we bought in 2004). The previous owner has been little help. He'd told me at one point to just open a cabinet and it would be there. To the right of the furnace are two heavily insulated metal boxes. I've peeled what I could back, hoping there was a filter somewhere. No luck. I suspect it might be actually inside the furnace itself; perhaps in a flat or vertical direction. I am clueless as to opening the furnace cabinet. It has two distinct sections, top and bottom. Would there be a latch somewhere to release a door? I've poked and prodded on the sides, but can't find anything. Maybe I just firmly grasp sides of cabinet front & remove? Or lift up? Or maybe it swings open one direction or another? (I've never had a manual for the furnace which would've helped.) If the model # XXXXX XXXXX the furnace, I'm in a catch 22 situation here. Can't help with a photo. Thanks for your efforts.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

graphic

graphic

Briant has made several models of the Model 80 furnaces over the years. Most had a filter box attatched to the firnace. Do any of these resemble your furnace?
When was the last time the furnace was professionally serviced?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The furnace at the bottom looks like mine, except that side box for mine is on the right. I mentioned the box was thickly insulated. Should I peel the insulation off to actually get a good look at it? I've only stuck my hand around in there to see what's lurking. The furnace has not been serviced since we bought the house.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Many homeowners do not realize, the complications of not having a professional inspect the heating system yearly, can cause. If a fire, or worse, is caused by the furnace and there are no records of the furnace being maintained, the insurance company can and will deny the claim for damages. I have worked on systems after they have caught fire and the homeowners got no help from their homeowners insurance for the damage. I have installed furnaces in new homes that the owners were building to replace a home that was destroyed by fire from not having the furnace serviced. I like every customer to have this information to consider.

Click here to download or view a manual for a Briant 80 furnace. It may not be the exact model you have but it shows the filter and how to access it and this information will be the same as yours.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

If you accept my answer please leave feedback.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: Hi, Edward:

Thank you for your superb advice. One more thing (I'll be Accepting...don't worry), when I clicked on to look at the manual, I was sent back to the home page. Do I have to accept in order to see the manual?

Thanks,
Karen
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, for some reason the link is no longer working. Give me a moment and I will post the link again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks much!

Karen
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/397374/Furnace-user-guide?ga_related_doc=1

This link has several Bryant manuals, you might look and find one that looks like yours since you do not know the model nunber. > http://www.gogeisel.com/geiselonline/support/homeowner_manuals.html

If there are not simular to what you have please let me know and I will look farther.

There is no reason for you to accept this answer if you are not satisfied with it. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you are happy with the information and feel you can leave positive feedback, please accept if you are happy with the information. If you are not satisfied you can tell me and I will gladly opt out which will prompt another expert to answer. There is no need for you to accept any answer that does not please you.

Regards,

Edward

If you accept my answer please leave positive feedback.

Edward, Handyman
Experience: Handyman, Master Gardener
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Edward:

Want to thank you so much for your excellent help in this matter. With your advice and the print-out of the manual, I was able to not only successfully locate the filter (in a vertical position, lower right portion of cabinet), but I cleaned it as well. What a relief! I don't know what I would've done without you.

I will also follow your advice re having a yearly check-up of the furnace.

Karen H.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the accept. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward