Dee
Dee, Designer
Experience:  Interior Decorator, Avid Gardner, Restoration, Art Design Specialist & Consultant
2715201

HOW DO I KEEP A ROCKING CHAIR FROM WALKING ACROSS THE ROOM

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 years ago.

Hi and welcome

Can you give us a little more info please? Is someone sitting in the chair and rocking it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Steve Gardner's Post: yes someone is in the chair rocking and it walks across the room
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 years ago.

Interesting.

If the bottom of the rockers are flat, how about buying some of the non-slip stuff that goes under carpets on solid wood floors to stop them slipping.

Here is a link. Wal Mart sells something like this for a lot less. http://www.addarug.com/DisplayLargeImage.cfm?ParentID=138&ItemTitleWeb=Rug-Preserver-Organic&Category=139

Cut it into a narrow strips and glue it to the bottom of the rockers with Elmer's Glue.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 years ago.

I have also been reminded by a fellow expert (thanks Smithy) that if the rockers are loose, or ill fitting then they will move slightly when rocking. This will cause the 'walking' you refer to.

Check to see if the rockers are firmly fixed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Steve Gardner's Post: The bottom of the rockers are rounded and this didn't work. I remember my grandmother saying something about it when I was a little girl, but I've forgotten since that's been so long ago. I don't know what wlse to try.
Expert:  Dee replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Most of the products you'll find, as above, are floor and carpet protectors. I have found most of those products to not help in preventing a rocking chair from moving across the floor. I have an antique fold up rocker. It use to do the same thing.. You need a product that will suction the floor, not damage the floor and have some means of stability.

With a bit of creativity I decided to use, what we call in my industry, bumpkins. You may be aware of these if you look behind any wall art you may have in your home. They are basically protectors placed on the back of an art piece to prevent wall damage. They are small , round, clear rubber self adhesive "dots" Don't use cork that you may see on your artwork, it will not prevent movement

You can purchase these at any Craft or art supply store. Place one "bumpkin" at the tip, the center and the rear tip of the rocker feet platforms. Then again about 1/2 of the way between each of the first placed bumpkins. If your rocker is older you may have to adjust both sides so that the rockers sits evenly. The bumpkins can be easily removed if you need to readjust and you can add as many as needed. This should solve your rocker walking issue.

Best of luck!

Regards,

~Dee

Dee, Designer
Experience: Interior Decorator, Avid Gardner, Restoration, Art Design Specialist & Consultant