Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

Should I replace the induction motor or 1992 Trane furnace?

I recently had my Trane XL80 (install date 1992) gas furnace serviced. The repair man said the bearings are starting to go in the induction motor. He said to replace the motor would cost about $500 but we should think about replacing the furnace. What do you think?

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number and serial number of the furnace?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The model # is tdd1008948ao
Serial # is f45581766
Situation - We live in Eagle River AK. Current temp 12 degrees F.
The heater sometimes makes a squealing noise upon start up - before the fan starts blowing air out of the vents. I have a local company (R&S) that usually does the service on this unit and they are pretty good but their prices are going up and the service quality is sliding a little. I had R&S (a plumbing and heating company) out yesterday to do a general maintenance call and check out the noise. The person from R&S "cleaned and serviced" while my husband watched as I was not home. He told my husband that he thought the bearings in the induction motor might be going bad. That there was no way to predict how long they would last. He said a new motor would cost around 350$ and about 120$ for labor. He asked if we wanted to go ahead and order (and pay for ) the new motor since it would take 3 days to get it here. After he called me to let me know what was said I stopped by the shop on my way home from work. The person had not brought filters with him and that should have been included (as in years previous). He gave me filters to take home and put in and we talked about what was "going on". He said due to the age of the heater we should think about replacing it. A previous homeowner has replaced the blower motor in '95. He said it would cost about $3000. He did not mention replacement at all to my husband. We have had no trouble with the furnace other than a little noise. After being serviced the noise is gone.

I have tried to be thorough but if you need more info just ask, my husband is sleeping now but will be up soon (night shift) and he may know some answers that I do not. Thank you so much for your help.

The induction motor on a Trane can be very expensive compared to ones on other brand furnaces. I was waiting on a callback from my parts supplier to get a price but he failed to return my call. So far I have found the part starting at $325 to $600 for the same part. If it were my furnace I would not replace the motor at this time. I would wait and see if the noise returned. $3000 for a Trane furnace is not out of line but there are many furnaces available at a lesser price but with good dependability and warranty. The last HVAC system I replaced cost the customer a little less that $2000. That was a York 10 000 BTU furnace and air conditioner. Click here to see the fuel savings a new furnace could provide. Click here to view the different York furnaces. Many come with a 10 year guarantee and a lifetime on the heat exchanger. As I said I do not believe you need a furnace at this time but I included the information for future reference.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank You for some peace of mind.

Thanks for the kind words. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer.