The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

my automatic garage door keeps going up an down ending up ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my automatic garage door keeps going up an down ending up in the up position, will no stay closed, how do I fix it?
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

It sounds like you have something blocking the safety beam at the bottom of your garage door. Either that or the sensors have been knocked out of alignment. you wil need to check the area for something blocking the beams and/or the alignment.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with. I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have already done that and that didn't fix it. Last nite I had to finally release the door and close it manually in order for it to be closed. This morning I put it back on automatic and once I pulled out of the garage I tried to close it and it closed but bounces back up about 4 inches and stayed there for how long I don't know because last nite when it did that it opened by itself about 10 minutes later. Hopefully when I get home my garage will not be emptied out.....

Now that you have explained the problem a bit more it sounds like you have a definate control board problem.

Unfortunatly the only cure is a new board.

When you return tonight (to a full garage I sincerly hope) please get the model number, and the make of the unit to me, and I'll see if I can find the board for you on line.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oops, I forgot the model number, the garage door opener is a Craftsman 75, Anniversary model. I got up there and looked at it, that's about all I could do (I still haven't figured out how to program my VCR!!!!) I am not very mechanically inclined. Anyway there seems to be a white screwy looking thing that you can turn, which I did but it didn't seem to do anything. Assuming I can get this "board" is this something that I just plug in somewhere or should I just bite the bullet and call some person to fix it. The last person I had out told me it would cost $750 to fix my "new" garage door. I told him to take a hike. I don't have much faith in repairman, it is very true that they try and take advantage of older woman.

Dorann;

Do you have a college in your town? If you do they all have bulletin boards for students looking for extra work. I'm sure that there is a bright young man, or woman that can fix your door opener , AND program your VCR while they are at it. And they would happily do it fot 1/10 what the so called repairman was gonna soak you for.

But I will need the model number to find the correct part.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much, I will try that. You have been a great help.

Your welcome.

Please let me know when you get the model number, and Ill find that part fot you.

Thank you for accepting.

Best regards; The Home Smithy