Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.

How do I measure Hertz

Customer Question

I want to check and make sure the electrical output is at 60 Hertz
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Any decent multimeter like a Fluke 87 will measure frequency. See if you can borrow one but be carefull if you are poking probes into receptacles. You are dealing with electricity after all.

If you can't borrow one, I assume you don't want to spend $400 so if you are trying to measure the frequency of your house power, spend $20 on a 'Kill A Watt' plug in power analyser.

It's not a professional device by any stretch of the imagination but it will give you a Hz reading when you plug it into a receptacle. They are made by a company called P3 International and you should be able to pick one up on eBay for under $25 shipped. I did!

Steve G., Handyman
Experience: VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Steve Gardner's Post: I have an Ideal 730 series. Which has AC & DC voltage, AC Amps, Ohms, Continuity. Can I take some of these calculations with AC and do some math to figure the Hertz?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I have an ideal 730, with AC & DC voltage, AC Amps, Ohms & Resistance/Continuity. Can I take a couple of readings and do a math formula to find out where the Hz is at?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Not really. You need a meter that measures frequency. There is no way to derive frequency from Volts, Amps or Ohms or any combination thereof. They are all independant of frequency in this instance.

Steve G., Handyman
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your time Steve Gardner.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Sure.

BTW, the frequency of an electrical supply is determined by the windings and rotational speed of the generators at the utility. I'm interested why you think that you may NOT have 60Hz (I assume you are in the US).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Steve Gardner's Post: I was curious about taking the reading of Hz on this one even though I have never had this issue on an install before. I am almost positive the windings that supply one of the legs is bad, but, I just wanted to see the readout for myself. Looking to see if it was all over the place just like the voltage reading for that leg was. Or, if it was just going to read low.
I appreciate your question and input Steve. BTW yes I am in the US.
Thanks again.