Suzanne
Suzanne, Owner/ Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 yrs in home experience - Appliance Service Field Technician
5816626

how to replace heating element on ge dryer

Customer Question

model DDE8509RCMAA
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.
Are you sure the element is broken or are you just getting a no heat situation?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Suzanne's Post: DON'T KNOW . JUST NO HEAT
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.

No problem we can figure it out together! Do you own an ohms meter? We really need this to run some tests. If you don't have one you can purchase one for between $10-$20 that will work quite well for you needs.

Please let me know, thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Suzanne's Post: i have one but not sure how to use it.i put batteries in it but needle does not move when i touch probes together
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.
Set it to the ohms Ω setting for continuity and when you touch the leads the needle should sweep. We will also need to test for AC voltage so make sure the meter is on a 220V setting or greater when we test voltage. Try this and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Suzanne's Post: still does not sweep but has 250v setting
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.
That meter isn't working correctly. Can you get your hands on another one? Tomorrow would be fine. You can get an inexpensive one for $10-$20. I can in the meantime post all the teststhat you need to do in the "Answer" for you to read at your leisure. To be able to read it you will need to put a deposit in the system. You are not locked in to paying until you "Accept" the answer so there is no financial "risk" per say. I am very familiar with this dryer so I do personally guarantee you will find the solution with my instruction but you need a working meter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Suzanne's Post: cool. i'll pick one up tommorow. thanks for all your help
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.

First thing we need to do is check for power out of our receptacle. A dryer will run with 110V but not heat if it doesn't receive 220V. Below is a four wire receptacle. If you only have a three wire disregard the round ground hole in the diagram. The other tests are the same for three or four wire power. Set your meter at 220V or above.

graphic

If when inserting your meter leads in the corresponding slots you did not get the result the picture shows you do not have correct voltage. Either the receptacle is bad or you need to check your fuse panel or breaker box.

Leave the dryer unplugged.

Open the dryer door and look up. You will see several (4) phillips head screws pointing up remove these screws. These hold the main top in place.

Lift the top. You will be looking at the drum. At the back of the drum is another shallow pan slightly larger in diameter than the drum this is your heater housing. On the right side you should see a black plastic rectangle with a silver and black disk in it with two wires. This is your thermal fuse. Set your meter or ohms Ω remove the two wires going to the disk and test the thermal fuse for continuity. If you get continuity replace the wires the thermal fuse is good if not it is bad replace the fuse.

If the fuse tested good go around behind the dryer and look at the bottom large access plate remove this. Look inside with a flashlight. Depending on how agile you are you may be able to test the element from here. Reach up into the hole on the left and feel for the element and the wire to it. Remove the wires and test the terminals for continuity. If you can't access it or you do not get continuity we need to remove the drum. Before releasing the belt from the pulleys Make yourself a drawing of how the belt threads over and around the pulleys before you remove it. Do not rely on your memory, draw a picture or take a photo with a digital camera. Now you can release the belt from the pulleys.

In the very center of the back of the dryer held in with two 5/16" screws remove the plate. You should now see a thin bent strip of metal. Look behind it. There may (usually) be a "C" clip on the shaft that holds the shaft in place. Remove the clip, if it falls into the dryer don't worry you can find it later when you remove the drum. If the clip is not there don't worry. Go back around the front and lift the lid of the dryer. Disconnect the door switch and remove the two screws that hold the sides to the front. The front will now tilt forward and lift off.

Grasp the front of the drum with one hand and use the belt as a handle. Lift slightly up at an angel and pull forward. The drum will come out. If it doesn't and you didn't find the shaft clip earlier go back and find it and remove it.

Once the drum is out you can easilly test the element or look for breaks and/or replace it or test the High limit thermostat on the left of the element housing.

Let me know if you need more assistance or if you have more questions.