Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

before my heater turns on it makes a very loud bang ...

Customer Question

before my heater turns on it makes a very loud bang and some fire shoots out where the pilot light is located
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. This is a dangerous condition known as flame roll out. It is normally caused by lack of service on the furnace.

Many homeowners do not realize, the complications of not having a professional inspect the heating system yearly, can cause. If a fire, or worse, is caused by the furnace and there are no records of the furnace being maintained, the insurance company can and will deny the claim for damages. I have worked on systems after they have caught fire and the homeowners got no help from their homeowners insurance for the damage. I have installed furnaces in new homes that the owners were building to replace a home that was destroyed by fire from not having the furnace serviced. I like every customer to have this information to consider before repairing the furnace themselves.

You should not continue to use the furnace until the problem is corrected. Doing so will subject the furnace to fire. The burners are most likely dirty or the exhaust vent is blocked. The burners will have to be removed and cleaned. The fire box should also be cleaned as should the other parts of the furnace.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

If you accept my answer please leave feedback.