The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Ice maker makes ice but the ice in bucket freezes together ...

Customer Question

Ice maker makes ice but the ice in bucket freezes together thus not allowing ice to come out through the door.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

And hello Escondido summit from top of the 58, T townSmile

You need to keep the freezer cooler. What is happening is during the automatic defrost period the ice is allowed to begin melting and then when the defrost cycle is over it re freezes into a big chunk.

Another thing that can cause this is a defrost timer that is going bad. It can cause excessive defrost periods and again the ice begins to melt.

Try turning the temp down, and if that doesn't work then a repair call will be needed.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with. I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

Please accept The Home Smithy's answer.

This problem can be caused if the ice maker is over filling. This will cause the ice bucket to get water in it that will freeze and stick the cubes together. This can be caused by a sticking water fill valve to the ice maker and it's control circuits. If you need additional information on this please indicate that you do.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be our pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, we will be glad to answer them.

Regards,

Edward

Please accept The Home Smithy's answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: What i get from your answer is 1)try turning the temperature down (get colder, if that doesn't work, 2)try turning the temperature down and if that doesn't work, it is probably a defective defrost mechanism.

Is that right?

Well just try turning the temp down once and see if that stops the problem.

What Ed has posted is a possibilty also, but there will be a frozen puddle at the bottom of the bin if this is the case. If the cubes are just stuck together then this will not be your problem. You will have a defective defrost timer.

Empty the bin this morning, and give the temp a try. Let me know if it works. You should know by tomorrow morning.