Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

How can I dry out a rain soaked queen size bed mattress

Customer Question

Roof leaked in recent storms and rain water leaked onto my mattress and box spring. They are still damp and n mold has developed.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. Sorry to say replacement is the best option. It will take weeks for the mattress to dry completely and the mold growth will only get worse. There is no way to get rid of the mold inside the mattress. Odor will be the next problem. Click here for more information.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

If you accept my answer please leave feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: As it turned out there was only slight surface wetness which I used the following recipe on and came away with great reults.
Area treatment with a dilute bleach solution applied via spray bottle.
I had rented a 14 foot U-Haul truck to move some things, including the bed. I placed the treated mattress in the truck along with a box fan and an electric fireplace/1,500 btu. Left the mattress to "cook" over night and awoke to find it dry and ready for another tour of duty.

I guess soaked was the wrong description for this instance but then there are many levels of soakedness. This one was not so severe as to replace it.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

I would still be concerned that the mold is still present in the mattress. Another thing to consider is that many mattresses have a fire retardant that can have it's effectiveness reduced by being wet. Hopefully you will not have these problems but they are something to consider.

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.