Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

Quatro furnace wont fire up

Customer Question

I ran our of propane with the furnace running. Now with gas in the tank, Mm 15 year old Quatro furnace won''t fire up. I hear and see the spark and smell gas, but no ignition. I''ve recycled it by turning off electricity but no luck. Is there a reset switch or something else I can do?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the furnace?

When was the last time the furnace was professionally serviced?

What is the age of the furnace?

What fuel does the furnace use?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Do you have a digital camera that you could use to send pictures of the furnace if needed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: Thanks for answering.

It is a Quatro with the following numbers: HW8204IID, 405070D. It runs on Propane.

A furnace guy came out to check it last season. It has regularly had the same problem each fall. The ignition sparks and I can see the spark and smell gas. I think the blower will not run. When I turn off the electrical to the furnace, then start it again, it sparks again but no ignition. I've done that few times. I've also turned off the gas, then started it, and turned the gas on again.

It was running fine until it ran out of propane last Sunday while running.

I believe there is a non-obvious reset button, since the cover label says so but I can't see it.

It was installed in 1993. Consolidated, which made it, went out of business in the late 90's.

Sorry, no camera.

You may call me at home at (edited for privacy)
Thanks again--

--Mike Matthews
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

It is against our TOS to communicate with a customer outside the site. Many homeowners do not realize, the complications of not having a professional inspect the heating system yearly, can cause. If a fire, or worse, is caused by the furnace and there are no records of the furnace being maintained, the insurance company can and will deny the claim for damages. I have worked on systems after they have caught fire and the homeowners got no help from their homeowners insurance for the damage. I have installed furnaces in new homes that the owners were building to replace a home that was destroyed by fire from not having the furnace serviced. I like every customer to have this information to consider before repairing the furnace themselves.

By turning the power off to your furnace, the furnace is reset. Safety features of the furnace will shut it down after 3 attempts to light. Does your furnace have a draft inducer? This is a blower that induces a draft in the duct leading to the outside of the home. Does your furnace have a light that would indicate a flash code? Is there a flash code chart on the furnace? This is normally located on the back of the door that you remove to service the furnace.

Please do not accept this information. I will need the information I requested to continue.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

If you accept my answer please leave feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: I believe there is a draft inducer. There is no light. I see no flash code chart.

Is the furnace automatically shut down, or have I avoided the shut off by recycling the electrical?

I have to leave in 15 minutes so our conversation may be interrupted.

Thanks; if you do call, I will certainly still pay.

--Mike
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

Sorry, I can not call you one the phone for reasons listed above. The safety features of most furnaces will shut them down after 3 attempts to operate. If your furnace has a draft inducer and it is not coming on, the safety feature in the furnace will keep the burner from lighting. You will need to verify that the draft inducer is getting power. If it is then possible the draft inducer motor will need to be replaced. Click here for information on furnace operation. Once you know for sure that the draft inducer is the problem, if applicable, let me know and we can continue.

Regards,

Edward