Inactive
Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
5968364

When re-wiring a touch lamp sensor; what color wires go ...

When re-wiring a touch lamp sensor; what color wires go where? I have two black wires from inside lamp and two black wires from cord. But the sensor has one black, one white, and one brown wire. Please help me. Thank you!
Ok for the sake of reference your lamp cord may be black - but you need to look at it closely. You will see one side smooth and the other side with a rough edge. The smooth wire is the "hot" lead and the roughed edge of the wire is the neutral.

Now you need to take the black smooth side of the lamp cord wire and wire it to the black wire of the sensor. Then you will take the black rough edged wire from the lamp cord and wire it to one of the black wires from inside the lamp and the white wire of the sensor. Then you will take the remaining black wire and attach it to the brown wire.

Hope this helps. If you need anything further please let me know.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have connected wires as you have instructed. The lamp lights up when plugged into the wall socket but doesn't turn off or anything else when the lamp base is touched. Is there something else I should try?
did your new sensor happen to come in a box with a diagram on it? Look on the back of the box or the paper that was stuffed inside the box.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No it was not in a box, it was in a plastic bag without instructions. Does this mean that I bought a defective sensor?
is is possible. The only other thing you can do is switch the black wires around that go up to the light. Meaning you will switch the black wire presently attached to the brown wire and attach it ot the white wire, and the wire attached to the white wire and attach it to the brown. Other than that - you will need to get a new sensor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I changed the wires as you suggested. The lamp still lights up when plugged into the outlet, but doesn't turn off or anything when the base is touched. I thank you for your time and will gladly pay the fee for your services even though my problem couldn't be resolved. At least we tried to fix it.
dont accept if your unhappy. Get a new sensor - one still in the package and come back and ill walk you through it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you sure? I can't get another one until tomorrow. I live 20 miles from the nearest town that I can get another sensor. I would appreciate the help if you're sure? Would there be an additional fee?
No... just leave the question be. Dont close it out. You will be able to come back tomorrow and we can finish this up. Ill be back online same time tomorrow.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
GREAT!!! Thank you and I'll be talking with you tomorrow! Have a good nights sleep!
You too... Talk to you tomorrow
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello! I purchased a totally different sensor. This one has the yellow signal wire, a gray wire, a black wire, and a brown wire. It is a Universal replacement part for incandescent touch lamps with 3 levels. Do you think we've got it this time? By the way, I hope you had a great day today!
my only question is did this one come with a diagram? If not can you give me the make and model number?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This one has a diagram on the back of the package. Unfortunately, I'm a layman and don't understand all the diagram. The make is by ACE E72217 and the model shows as 6503.
do you have any way of scanning the diagram on the box onto the computer or taking a picture of it and posting on here? Ill tell you how to post a pic on here if you can do one of those. If not, if you can describe exactly what is on the box, ill try and decifer it. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can try to scan it... I've never tried to scan and send to a website before.
Just scan it and save it to your computer as a jpg file. Then use this procedure to upload it onto this site.

graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I scanned it but I don't know how to send it to you. Sorry.
Ok, I found the wiring diagram online - so here is how it goes:
(1) Black wire with smooth edge to the black wire of the sensor.
(2) Brown wire to one of the black wires going up to the lamp
(3) Grey wire gets attached to the black wire with the rough edge and the left over wire going up to the lamp.
(4) Yellow wire gets attached to the metal housing of the lamp itself.

Once you do this the sensor will work just fine. Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you! I'm going to solder the electrical eyelet to the yellow wire so that I can attach it to the metal housing. Then I will connect the other wires as you have instructed. I will pay you for your services as soon as you say to. And I thank you very much! It's always nice when there's someone who cares enough to help.
Dont worry about paying until the lamp is working.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You've helped me so much, and it's only fair that I pay for your services. Remember, I'm a layman so it may take me a bit to solder the wire... And I'll definitely leave a positive feedback! And hopefully be able to find you when I need more assistance.
that is not a problem. Take your time - make sure all your connections are good then test it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay... I will. And thank you for being patient.
Not a problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
WONDERFUL!! IT WORKS!!! You're the best!!! Thank you so much Joseph! Now what do I do to get you paid? Do you want more added to your fee?
All you need to do is press the green accept button at the top of the screen. Im very glad it works.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your help. May 2008 be a wonderful, prosperous year for you!!! Payment has been made and feedback left.
Thank you for the Accept and I have received payment. Have yourself a great night. If you ever need anything again - please dont hesitate to ask.