The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

How do I remove Sticky Hair removal wax from my wooden floor

My hair removal wax, which is sugar/ honey based (Brand - GIGI wax), got spilled on the floor. Now its sticky and not that runny. what do I do to remove it?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer;

First use a plastic scraper and get up what you can. If you dont have one you can cut one out of a plastic milk jug or a soda bottle.

Once you have this done then warm soapy water should clean up the rest of it. Use a mild dish soap and dont get the water too hot. It could ruin the top coating of the flooring. Also DO NOT get the flooring real wet either. There are some types that if you get water inbetween the pieces they can buckle, and begin to come apart.

Keep the rag wet but not sopping wet. Rinse the rag, and wring it out, often. Dry the area well with some paper towels when you are done.

To be certain that no excess mpoisture remains use a hair dryer on the area for about 5 minuits. DO NOT place the hair dryer any closer than 6-8" from the flooring, and always keep it moving.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Hi,

I don't know if you know this product, this won't come out with water. There are some wax that are water soluble or can be washed out with water, but not this one, this is sticky like a thick sugar syrup but water doesn't effect it. Even on my skin I have to take it off with thick creams and lotions. Please advise.
If you want you can google GIGI WAX for more info on this hair removing wax.

Ok this stuff is applied when it is warm. At that point it is pliable, and you can work with it. So let me ask you this. How do you get the stuff off of your skin without all the creams and stuff, and still take the hair off? I was under the impression that you applied this to your shin,placed a rag of sorts in it and let it cool then yank it off. If the stuff stays on your skin it wont do anything but hurt. ALOT!

Please forgive my ignorance but I have never had to use this or use it on someonre else. It may also offer a method to remove it from the floor if you could help me understand how it is used. It has to be easier to get it off your skin than using creams etc.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, So this is how the wax works:
Its supposed to be warmed, it becomes thin syrup like and then you apply it on your skin, you take a cloth strip and then put in on top of the skin where you applied the wax, rub it and pull it and the hair comes of.
Now there is obviously residue that remains on your skin, this will not come of if you wash it with water and soap. If you do, it becomes as if the permanent glue is sticking on your skin.
Therefore it has to taken off by application of wax off creme or lotion or oil. this loosen the grip of wax and it starts coming off.

Now I was using the wax and the I pushed it under by bed in a hurry it cooled off and then someone tripped on it on didn't realize the container got tilted and wax flowed down on my hardwood floor.

The thing to know about the wax is that it never becomes hard. It remains in form of a very thick and very sticky sugar / honey color syrup. Even when it is cool. Warming it, just makes it thinner in consistency.

Now the wax is on my floor and very sticky, I can scrap off the excess from the floor but what do I do about all that remains and is sticking on my floor. Everything in the room is getting sticky...
I have to be able to get the stickiness out.

Sorry for the delay but for some reason I got a page cant be displayed when I pressed the reply button. This in effect wiped out all the typing I had done.

Thank you for explaining how this stuff works. My wife read my reply to you and saiid; "Honey your such a man". Im not sure if she was being sarcastic or complimenting my masculinity.

Any ways here is what you need to do. Get a couple old hand towels or bath towels. Place them over the effected area. Using an iron set on medium low press the towel into the wax. Continue pressing till the towel is good and warm. Allow it to cool and repeat as needed till the wax has been absorbed into the towel. Basicly what you are doing is applying the cloth strip to the wax like you do on your skin, and heating the wax so it melts again. The towel is able to absorb a bit more of it each time . Once it cools the wax will adhear to the towel better than it does to the floor and more of it comes off each time. If you find that there is still avery fine layer left use a brown bag and warm it into the wax. Be carefill that you do not heat the flooring too much as it can scorch the top of some types. You may want to try a test spot somewhere inconspicuos like in a closet first.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience