The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

purchased a new hot water heater, has red and black wiring ...

Customer Question

purchased a new hot water heater, has red and black wiring but not the white or yellow wire? It is a tank for 240 watts how do we install
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

What is the make and model number of your unit, please.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi and Thank you for a quick response,

The make is, CraftMaster
model # XXXXX
serial #(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The new heater is the same as the old one, accept there are only two wires one red and one black.
Our wiring system requires red, black, and yellow,
there is no yellow wire coming from atop of the heater to connect to our wiring system,,, there is a yellow wire inside the connection box..... but not coming from atop the heater in order for us to connect the wiring properly....
The old heater did have a third yellow wire...
`Ok are the red and black wires coming from the box that the yellow wire is in?
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well I am not really understanding this...
because yes the yellow wire is in the same connection box as the black wire...... But you did not send me an answer.... so do I accept so you will receive payment...than you send me an answer...lol
because I would hate to accept be charged and not get an answer...lol lol
respond please

Ok what I need to know is if the red, and black wire that you refer, to go to the same box that the yellow wire is in. If they do then all you need to do is extend the yellow wire and hook it up the same as your old one.

And no you do not press the acept button untill you are satisfied with the answer you recieve.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Alright I am going to have to hurt my husband...lol

So please allow me to know how important this yellow wire is..... is it the ground wire and how would we extend it..... I have no problem with accepting your answer..... please help..... Ha Ha......

any way there are red and black wires leading from atop the tank....
to electric box top notches ,
nothing on second left notch, has black and blue wires on right leading to bottom element and a blue one leading to top element, on the last top notch on the left there is a yellow wire leading to the top element.....

on the bottom electric box has the yellow wire, and a blue and green wire.....
awww th top doesn't have any green wires...lol

So please tell me is the yellow wiring for grounded and how would I extend it ?
Now our home is an older model and the wire that connect to the yellow on on the old one was connected to the white.... Is it a must that the yellow wire be extended and connected to the white wire or is it safe to tape the old white wire off.

Your unit will not function without the white wire. It is the neutral wire from the breaker panel. If it was connected to the yellow wire on your old unit then it should go to the same yellow wire on the new unit.

Now that you have thrown in a blue wire I am confused as to how this is set up. Is there any chance you could take pictures, and then use the directions below to upload them to the JA servers? It would help a lot if I could see what you see.

PIC UPLOAD
Ok here is how you upload them-

At the top of your reply box is a icon that looks like a tree. It is two to the right of the smiley.

Click on the icon. It will bring up a box.

Click on browse. Another box will appear.

Click on browse again in that box.

Navigate to the place in your computer where the picture is. Select it, and then in the second box click on upload.

The second box will disapear.

In the first box click on insert.

This will upload your picture, and you should see it displayed in your reply box.

Repeat the process to upload another picture.