Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

Whats the flame of a gas dryer supposed to look like?

What''s the flame of a gas dryer supposed to look like? Expected sleek bluish flame, got yellow-orange fireball. Any advice?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The flame on any gas appliance should resemble the image below.

graphic

Any yellowing or an orange color is an indication of a poor burn. This is normally caused by the lack of proper oxygen needed to get the proper burn. The problem could be a dirty burner or a buildup of lint. For safety it is very important to keep the dryer vent clear of any lint. Cleaning of the lint screen does not keep lint from building up in the dryer and the duct that vents to the outside of the dwelling. The lint will cause the dryer not to operate properly and can and will cause a fire. There are tools made especially for cleaning the lint out of a dryer, that along with a vacuum with good suction should solve the lint problem.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

Edward, Handyman
Experience: Handyman, Master Gardener
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: I'm sorry, but i cleaned out everything, ran a pipe cleaner down the burner tube to make sure it wasn't clogged, but the flame still isn't clean. What could be the problem? It's worked fine for years. Is there any other oxygen source besides the vents in the side of the burner tube that i can check out. I will gladly pay you more if you can solve my problem. Thank You.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

The problem is most likely lint buildup. Check and remove all lint from the dryer vent. Make sure to check where the vent comes out of the house. Lint can often clog the vent there. Check and clean the duct inside the dryer itself. Check the dryer lint trap area to make sure there is no blockage there. Check the dryer lint filter. Clean the entire area inside the dryer to remove all lint. See if water will run through the screen. Often a thin transparent film can form on the screen. If water does not flow freely through it then neither will air. Clean the screen with hot soapy water to remove the film. This should allow air to get to the burner area and you should have a nice blue flame.

Regards,

Edward

If you accept my answer please leave feedback.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: I assure you i've taken all of these measures, but the problem still persists. ???
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Have you adjusted the adjusting the air shutter?

Is this dryer running on propane or natural gas?

Did the dryer ever have a blue flame?

The link below may help you with the problem.

Troubleshooting the Gas Heater

Regards,

Edward

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's natural gas, i have no idea what the flame looked like before, but it is so uncontrolled that it backs out of the tumbler inlet, which i'm sure would have caused some kind of problem previous to this, and i don't know what an air shutter is. I'm sorry to continue to be a problem but i'm not looking forward to having to call a repairman for what is probably something small. Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

With it backing out of the tumbler inlet, this sure does sound like an obstruction in the duct. What is the make and model number of the dryer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: It's a Frigidaire, Crown series, but i can't find the model number. I've checked for obstruction again and again but i don't find any.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Have you removed the cabinet from the dryer to see the inside of the dryer?

The model number will be needed to provide you specific information.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: Yes, the sticker on the inside doesn't have anything that resembles what might be a model number, oddly enough. When i was looking for info before, i used all the numbers i could find on the dryer, but none came up as a valid model number.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX on the back of the dryer or inside the dryer door.

Did you clean the blades on the blower?

Does the blower produce a lot of air out the duct?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, i cleaned the blades on the blower, and it seems to be putting out plenty of air.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Without the model number I can not provide you specific information on you dryer. Give me any numbers you can find and I will see if I can get the needed information. This question has strayed from your original question but I will do my best to find a solution for the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry i did not get back to you last night, my connection went down. I won't take up anymore of your time on this problem. Thank you so much for your help. God Bless