Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

MY FRIGIDAIRE SIDE BY SIDE HAS WATER FREEZING IN THE BOTTOM ...

MY FRIGIDAIRE SIDE BY SIDE HAS WATER FREEZING IN THE BOTTOM OF THE FREEZER
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Welcome to Just Answer.

Under the bottom of a frost-free freezer is a drain line and the freezer has a defrost cycle. The problem is the drain line freezes closed. You will have to warm up the drain line so that it can thaw. Look in the back of the freezer and see if there are any holed openings at the bottom of the freezer. Once you find the opening(s), take a turkey baster and fill it with hot water. Place it over the drain hole until a tight fit and slowly squeeze the turkey baster. With a few attempts,this might free up the frozen line.
You can also take any bottom plastic out of the freezer and turn it off, and have it thaw using a hair dryer or by putting everything into a couple of ice chests and leaving it open and off for 4 or 5 hours. This way seems to work more effectively, but it is more work and time consuming. I would plan on doing this every couple of years....It just happens with this type of setup.

If you should need further help on this question, please reply to this post.

It is my objective to make sure that your question is answered to your complete satisfaction.

Best of Luck,

Brian

Please click the green "ACCEPT" icon, if you feel that I have met this requirement.

This is a FEE based website & your payment allows us to be here for you.

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK; it is important to me

BONUSES are appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTION. I HAD SCHEDULED FOR MY HANDYMAN TO COME THIS SATURDAY THE 22ND TO LOOK AT IT. HE ALREADY REPLACED THE EVAPORATOR FAN THAT FROZE UP LAST MONTH. WE REPLACED THE THERMOSTAT BY THE CONDENSER FAN, THINKING THAT MIGHT FIX THE CURRENT WATER PROBLEM BUT IT DIDN'T.

I MAY TRY THE SECOND SUGGESTION, MYSELF, IN THE MEANTIME AS I AM ANXIOUS TO FIX THE PROBLEM.
CAN I TURN THE FREEZER OFF SEPRATELY FROM THE REFRIGERATOR? I KNOW THAT THEY HAVE THEIR OWN SEPARATE CONTROLS.

I MAY JUST TAKE EVERYTHING OUT AND LEAVE IT OPEN FOR 4 TO 5 HOURS. HOWEVER, I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEANT BY TAKING ANY BOTTOM PLASTIC OUT OF THE FREEZER. I DON'T SEE ANYTHING THAT FITS THIS DISCRIPTION.
ALSO, I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THE WATER IS DRIPPING FROM THE AREA WHERE THE COILS ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF MY FREEZER(INSIDE THE FREEZER).

LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.

MUCH THANKS,

SHARON

P.S. THIS IS MY FIRST TIME SO I APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE WITH ME.
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

They have separate controls, but I'm not sure, on your model, if it will completely shut down and still allow the fridge to stay cold....I believe they transfer air from one side to the other, as needed.

The plastic is just any drawers, covers, etc, that might be in the way. The drips you see are probably from the normal thaw cycle, but if the drain hose is clogged then that water cannot drain correctly and it puddles.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good Evening Brian,

I took your suggestion and turned off my ref/freezer for 17 hours. I turned it on this morning at 8:30 a.m. When I came home this evening about 5 p.m everything was o.k. I just checked it again at 7:00 p.m. and I am sad to say that there was water frozen in the bottom of the freezer again. Do you have any other ideas??

Sharon
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The refrigerator gets the cold air needed to cool it from the freezer section. There is no way to turn either section of the unit completely off. From what you have described so far, the refrigerator is having a problem with the self defrost section. Most likely the evaporator drain is blocked by ice forming in the freezer section. This is why the refrigerator worked for awhile after turning it off and then back on. Once the ice reformed the problem continued. Are you handy with tools and want to repair this problem yourself? If so I will need the model number of the refrigerator to provide you specific information.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
EDWARD,

I SHUT DOWN THE ENTIRE UNIT. REFRIGERATOR AND FREEZER FOR 17 HOURS. I TOOK THE CONTENTS OUT AND PUT IN AN ICE CHEST. I LIVE IN A HURRICANE AREA AND AND USED TO NOT HAVING A REFRIGERATOR FROM TIME TO TIME.

IF ANYTHING WAS FROZEN IN A DRAIN, IT WOULD HAVE HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO THAW IN 17 HOURS.
BECAUSE I FEEL THAT THIS IS A FAIRLY EASY PROBLEM TO FIX I HAVE BEEN TRYING FIX IT MYSELF AND AVOID THE HUGE EXPENSE OF A REFRIGERATOR SERVICE COMPANY. I AM HANDY WITH TOOLS AND I HAVE A HANDYMAN THAT WILL HELP ME IF NEED BE.
FRIGIDARE GALLERY PROFESSIONAL
MODEL NO.: FRS26ZSHB4
FYI   A FEW WEEKS AGO I REPLACED THE CONDENSOR FAN AND THE THERMOSTAT NEAR THE EVAPORATOR FAN.
WAITING FOR YOU SUGGESTIONS.

THANKS!

SHARON
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Sharon,

Yes, anything that would have been frozen would have had a chance to thaw. That is why everything was OK from 8 am to 5 pm after you unplugged the refrigerator and let everything thaw. Then at 7 pm you had water in the bottom again, most likely caused by ice in the evaporator drain when the refrigerator went into the defrost mode. Click here to view the area of the refrigerator where the evaporator is located. Click here for more views of the refrigerator. I would suggest that you remove the back panel in the freezer compartment. This will allow you to see what is going on. A volt/ohm meter can be used to check the heating coil, thermostats, etc, for opens. I have see other things get into the drain pan for the evaporator and they can keep the water from draining correctly. Make sure the opening in the drain pan is clear to insure the water runs down the drain tune instead of the bottom of the freezer.

Edward, Handyman
Experience: Handyman, Master Gardener
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I APPRECIATE YOUR SUGGESTIONS. I CAN'T GET MY HANDYMAN OUT TILL MONDAY.
I WISH I COULD PULL THE FRIG OUT AND SEE IF I COULD FIGURE IT OUT BUT IT IS TOO LARGE FOR ME TO MANUVER SINCE MY BACK OPERATION.
I WILL LET YOU KNOW AS SOON AS WE SEE IF YOUR SUGGESTION WORKS.
I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO COMPENSATE YOU WHEN I SEE THAT YOUR SUGGESTION FIXES THE PROBLEM!!

THANKS.

SHARON
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Sharon,

All access to the evaporator is made from inside the freezer side of the refrigerator. There are panels that can be removed to see the area.

My goal is 100% customer satisfaction and I do not want a customer accepting any answer they are not 100% satisfied with.

Let me know how everything turns out Monday. If you need more information, let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Brian's Post: BRIAN,
I DID REPLY TO YOU ON THE 22ND OF DEC TELLING YOU THAT I HAD TURNED MY REF/FREEZER OFF FOR 17 HOURS. ABOUT 12 HOURS LATER IT STARTED LEAKING AND FREEZING IN THE BOTTOM OF MY FREEZER. THEN I GOT AN E-MAIL FROM AN EDWARD. I THOUGHT THAT YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS AND THEY GAVE ME TO SOMEONE ELSO.
I AM CONFUSED.
TOMORROW, I AM GOING TO HAVE A HANDY MAN COME AND TRY THE SUGGESTION THAT EDWARD GAVE ME.
SO FAR I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM!!
I HOPE YOU GET THIS REPLY THIS TIME.

SHARON