Keith
Keith, plumber, heating and cooling
Experience:  Plumbing, heating, ccoling
6877328

My oil furnace keeps shutting off...especially on very ...

My oil furnace keeps shutting off...especially on very windy nights...and when we went downstairs last night to turn it back on, it had been burning cherry red. Is this a fire hazard? What''s wrong. We had it professionally cleaned after last year''s heating season was over so it should be running just fine now, shouldn''t it? What should I do?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Keith replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

How old is this unit? Is it forced hot air or hot water? After having it cleaned it should be fine so long as you had did done by someone you know and is been doing this for some time. But when you say cherry red, what do you mean? Is the jacket on the unit hot? Please give me some of this information so I can help you out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Keith's Post: Hi Keith,

The unit is over 20 years old (maybe 25 yrs.) but we had it inspected two years ago and again at the end of last heating season and we were told that it would have be replaced within the next few years but it was fine for this year. It's a forced hot air system.

It was inspected and cleaned by our oil company whom we've dealt with for over ten years and I do trust their work.

The part burning cherry red was the little hood over the burner.

Thanks!
Expert:  Keith replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

The cherry red you saw thru the sight glass in the front of the unit when you lifted it up?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes.

Everytime it's shut off (about three or four times now), it's been a very windy night.
Expert:  Keith replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

That I wouldn't worry about for the fact you had a company there who set it up and cleaned it that you have known for year's. So the high wind is kicking it off? Is there any type of electrical device in the flue above your unit? Into the metal pipe of your flue?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No electrical device. It's a self contained unit but there are leads from the unit that go up into the boiler.

The main thing I'm concerned about is why it's cherry red and if this is a fire hazard?
Expert:  Keith replied 6 years ago.
Customer

If you think for one moment that it doesn't look like it use to I would call the oil company. Normally they do burn like that, but I am not looking at it with my eye's. I would get on the phone with them when you get off here and have them come out.

Have a great Holiday Season! Let me know how you make out.

Keith, plumber, heating and cooling
Experience: Plumbing, heating, ccoling