Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
5098113

Can electric cable labeled outdoor be used for indoor wiring?

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rich replied 8 years ago.

Hi ..

What type cable is this .. NMB .. or other ??

Thanks .. Rich

Expert:  Rich replied 8 years ago.

Hi ..

YES .. in general .. you can use outdoor rated cable indoors .. if uyo get back to me with the type of cable .. I can confirm that for your specific case ..

If you have any other thoughts questions, concerns on this .. please get back to me

Thanks ... Rich

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to electricaldick's Post: Rich,

I've got Diamond handiwire from Lowes, label outdoor copper electrical wire, 12-2 UF-B, 600V. So I was wondering if this could be used (1) under the house which is on piers (where moisture is a consideration), and (2) between walls and attic? Its a little more difficult to pull without kinks, but... would it offer advantages, and most importantly is its use aboveground within code?

Thanks,
Heath
Expert:  Rich replied 8 years ago.

Hi ..

yes, it can be used indoors and outdoors .. it must be protected from physical damage .. it can be stapled to a joist , it can be direct burried , it cannot be run in conduit except for a short distance from the ground, up to an entrance into a building.. no, there is no advantage to using this type of wire indoors .. I find it more difficult to strip the outer covering off ..

to pull any plastic coated wire with less kinks .. you need to unroll it rather than pull it directly out of the bundle ..

Thanks ... Rich