Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
1967213

How do you typically install interior trim around a square ...

Customer Question

How do you typically install interior trim around a square skylight that is inside a shaft. There''s about 2" of skylight frame between the window and side of the sheetrock shaft. Casing like a window? Quarter Round?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 6 years ago.

The best choice and most pleasing to the eye is to case it out just like a window or picture frame. You might have to rip a 1/4 inch off of window casing since most casing is 2 & 1/4 inches.

Dennis (cut2it)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dennis M. Smith's Post: Thanks Dennis. Just a quick confirmation before I accept. So I'll butt the ripped end into the sheetrock and match the finished edge of the casing with the edge of skylight(new velux)? Can you nail finish nails into the frame of the skylight w/o damaging it or would you attach in a different way? Even though my skylight is not centered in the shaft I guess I'll just have to Miter the corners and live with it. (e.g. the casing on the right will be 1 and 3/4 while the one on the left might be 2 and 1/4 and the top will be 1 and 1/2). Any advise on that scenario. Thank you for you help!

First let's deal with the spacing. That's too bad the light is not exactly centered as this does present a trimming out problem. I suggest you look for something other than regular window casing (2 1/4) Try to find some molding that is only an inch and a half. This way all of the corner will align correctly when mitered and will give a better finished appearance. If you prefer to still use 2 & 1/4 casing then yes the ripped edges would go against the side of the shaft. There opposite edge would just overlap the skylight frame just enough to leave a quarter inch reveal. You should have no trouble nailing finish nails into this trim since there has to be framing around the entire skylight.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions if you feel it necessary.

Dennis (cut2it)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Dennis. Maybe I'll try to use some smaller square trim along the edges that butts together in the corners to try to cover the uneven miters. Just want to confirm the nailing - the glass itself is surrounded by a wood frame that is all part of the skylight (maybe 2.5 to 3" wide). Just to confirm - that's where I would have to nail since any framing (such as 2X4's, 2X6's or whatever) is back under the sheetrock of the shaft. The skylight trim has deep groves all the way around as if it's milled for other trim to be fitted all around or maybe for sheetroock to fit into on a new installation. I guess I'm safe from it splitting if I use a small enough finish nail and make sure I hit in the center of the groove or the edges on either side. Thank you for your help - you have confirmed what I thought in that there was no easy way out of this. Not sure if I can get your next reply if I accept now (since this is my first time using this site) so I'll just accept on the next response. Thanks again. If you're in NJ and are looking for a skylight trim job just let me know :-).

I understqnd the situation and I suggest you use a tube adhesive like "Liquid Nails" or similar. Once you have "dry fitted" your trim pieces run a bead of this adhesive the length of the piece and then use a minimum of very small finish nails to hold it in place.

Dennis (cut2it)

PS ... I don't want to go to New Jersey as I'm afraid of the Sopranos..... Smile

Experience: Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Dennis - the soprano's are the ones that put it in off-center to begin with!

Well, which ever one it was should be whacked !!!! Good luck to you and I feel confident it's going to turn out alright.

Dennis