Ask Michael L...........JA Construction Y...

Michael L...........JA Construction
Michael L...........JA Construction, Construction & Maintainance expert
Experience:  10 Years Building Construction, 15 years Maintenance
283538

How do you prevent backdraft from a fireplace?

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael L...........JA Construction replied 7 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

Back draft is caused by a fire losing its oxygen to burn properly, then once the oxygen is introduced, it can explode.

To prevent back draft on your fireplace, you just make sure that you have a chase to allow oxygen to get to the fire.

If you have an older fireplace, some chases (if they even have one) is outside, this causes heat loss. One solution is to move the chase inside and to vent it to the interior so warm air can circulate (middle).

The damper needs to be open to help create a draft.

My fireplace is open, so mainly all I need to do is open the damper and leave my glass doors open, this allows the fire to breath

If you need more help Let me know

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Michael L...........JA Construction's Post: OUr fireplace is open- we don't have glass doors on it. Is there anything we can add to the top part of the chimney to pull the smoke?
Is the wood green, or wet?

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

The only thing you can really do is check the damper to make sure it is open full; also you might want to make sure that the chimney is clear of bird nests, and obstructions.

If the front is open, that is should give you plenty of air.

Also, if the wood is green or wet, it will smoke more then normal, you will need to mix it with dryer wood if you plan to burn it wet or green.

If you need more help Let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Michael L...........JA Construction's Post: Chimney is clean- wood is wet
or green, so that may be the problem. How do you tell if the wood is dry enough?

Well that can be tricky, it will be dark colored not really light.

it should be older then 6 months, this should be dry enough,

you can test my theory by going to walmart and buying a couple of there wrapped logs. If you don't get the smoke it is wet.

Experience: 10 Years Building Construction, 15 years Maintenance