Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

how to repair a mercury vapor light that cycles on and off.

how to repair a mercury vapor light that cycles on and off. outside security light not a vehicle light
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Is the light on a photocell that turns it on at dark and back off at daylight?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, on at dark off in daylight
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
cycles on and off every 2 or 3 minutes all night
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

The problem can be a bad sensor, a ballast or a bad bulb. If you have not noticed the light getting dimmer than when it was working I imagine the bulb will need to be replaced. Often the entire fixture can be purchased cheaper replacing the ballast. I have seen these lights on sale for as cheap as $29 when the lamp alone cost almost $20. If the light never got dim the ballast or the control would be the problem. Here again the replacement would be close to what the part would cost. I would suggest that you replace the fixture instead of trying to fix it or have it repaired.

Thanks for the accept. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

Regards,

Edward

Edward, Handyman
Experience: Handyman, Master Gardener
Expert:  Rich replied 7 years ago.

Hi ..

Edward is correct and you shouldd accept HIS answer ..

I have just one thought please .. before you spend money on a new fixture .. which is probably the solution .. just hate for it to be something easy ..

If this is a definite consistant time interval that it cycles thru ..

check the area around the light to see if there is anything that could be reflecting the light so that it is being senced by the photo cell and turnig itself off ...

good luck .. Rich