The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Is an enclosed 1 hour fire rated mechanical room required ...

Is an enclosed 1 hour fire rated mechanical room required for a 2 family residental home in Brooklyn New York that was built in 1943
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

If you are having new equipment installed, the building is changing ownership, the building is being renovated, the building is being partially remodeled, or any thing else that requires a permit then, yes. The building department can require that you upograde the room to a 1 hour fire wall. This can be accomplished by installing 2 layers of 1/2" drywall and sealing around all penitrations with approved fire resistant sealants.

If this has answered your question click the green ACCEPT button.

If you have other concerns in this matter please reply here in this thread.

After you click ACCEPT. Please leave feedback.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I called the DOB and they said that is not required in the renovation I am having done. My issue now is finding documentation to verify this information. They referred me to the Fire Dept., but all I am getting is a run around.
If they have said that you do not need it then what is the problem? Is someone else saying that you do?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My new question is where would I find documentation with this information?

That is the biggest question that we seem to get here. And just about every time we give the answer we end up with a customer that thinks that we don't know anything.

Alas, the answer to your question is to check with your local authorities.

Every building inspectors office has the ability to intrepret the code as they deem proper for their jurisdiction. This is due to the fact that the ICC codes are ment as a general starting point for them to base their individual codes on and not something that applies to every city, county, or state. In your area there are a lot more multi family dwellings than say in Iowa. Therefore the codes that apply to a duplex in Iowa are going to be diffrent than where you live only because In Iowa there are not duplexes right next to each other.

If the local offices are giving you the runaround then put you foot down, and ask to speak to the person you are talking to supervisor. Tell them that they are not answering your question.

These people are there to provide you with answeres to your questions. If they do not then they are not doing their job and should be reported to their superiors.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not one of those customers who thinks that you don't know what you are talking about. While I was waiting for your first reply I made other inquries. Your answer says that the B.O.D can, it does not give a yes or no answer that I need. I need the documentation to give to the archtitech whose plans would cost me an addtional $3000. or more. Thank for your help. Here is your payment.