Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

What are sucker stems on roses and what do they look like

Do they ever come from existing healthy stems? I have some stems that are coming out at a 90 degree angle from existing stems and I want to know if these are sucker stems as well?

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. From the information you have given me, the growth is not considered a rose sucker. Suckers on roses are produced by the roots and where the graft is attached to the root stock. If the sprout is coming out below the graft, then it is a sucker. I will include more information shortly. My computer requires a reboot at this time.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

It is important to remove a true sucker since it will take the strength away from the rose graft. The image below may help with the identification of a rose sucker. graphic

Thanks for the accept and the feedback. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish.

Regards,

Edward