The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445
Home Improvement

My Garbage Disposal is leaking. I have a Badger 5 1/2 HP ...

My Garbage Disposal is leaking... Show More
My Garbage Disposal is leaking. I have a Badger 5 1/2 HP disposal. It has a slow leak underneath it right near a small white hole. Not sure what the hole is. Any suggestions?
Category: Home Improvement
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
replied 9 years ago.

Hi Customer;

Is the hole at the very bottom of the unit?

Once I recieve this information I will be able to answer your question. A small deposit will be required to view my answer. You will not be charged unless you accept my answer.

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: yes
The Home Smithy, Home Builder replied 9 years ago.

Thank you.

Unfortunatly if the leak is coming from inside the unit (check to be sure it is not just running down the sides if the unit), at the bottom, the seals have gone out, and the unit will need to be replaced.

If it is leaking down the sides, you will need to determin exactly where it is comming from. You can do this by filling the sink with water and adding some food coloring to it. Red is best. Then drain the sink with the disposal turned on. The food coloring will show you exactly where the leak is.

If you have other concerns in this matter please reply here in this thread.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
There is a small white object with a hole in it right next to the reset button on the very bottom of the disposal. The water is leaking from this object. This hole has always been there and has never leaked water from it. What is this object? And if it is leaking does your answer still apply?

Your units internal seals are bad. You will need a new unit as these are not repairable.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Suzanne, Owner/ Appliance Technician
replied 9 years ago.

That hole with the square tab coming through it is the tab that holds the reset switch in place.That way you don't push it (the switch) into the disposal when you press it. (Trust me I have been an authorized ISE tech for 5 years) Smithy is absolutely correct about the leak. A Badger 5 costs about $60 the motor with seal for it runs about $50. It will take you about an hour and a half to replace it then more time to get it back in the sink. Replace the unit with a nice Sears (still an ISE) 3/4 HP stainless steel disposal with a 10 year in home warranty. It will run you $100 on sale. You will be able to dispose of just about anything that will fit in the sink hole including steak bones and corn cobs.

Please accept Smithys post, He has provided you with excellent advise.