Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------

How to hook up a step down transformer by NYS code

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Can you tell me what the Primary voltage and Phase is? And what your secondary will be? Additionally can you tell me where this transformer will be located. Indoors / outdoors... What type of transformer is it. Pad mounted or pole mounted. If you tell me this I can tell you what you need to do. Thanks.
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Ok with not knowing exactly what type of transformer it is... You will want to take your priXXXXX XXXXXnes and hook them to H-1, H-2, H,3 N is for your neutral, and your ground wire will physically bond to the casing of the transformer. Now on your secondary side, you will attach your secondary lines to X-1, X-2, X-3 N is where your secondary neutral will terminate at and your ground will terminate to the casing of the transformer. Now with that if you have structural steel, you will want to run a #4grounding wire from the casing of the transformer to the building steel.

Now if you can give me more specifics, I will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do. Thanks so much.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!!!