Inactive
Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
5968364

How can I install an outdoor light sensor. I have 3 wires ...

Customer Question

How can I install an outdoor light sensor. I have 3 wires white,red and black on the sensor, but there is only 2 color wires on the light, black and white.and also a metal wire (ground)
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Now what you can do in order to make this work if your installing the photocell at the light itself is either leave the light switch on so that you have constant power to the photocell, or bypass the switch and leave power on all the time at the light in order to power the photocell. See diagram for how to wire this unit.
graphic
Hope this helps, if you need anything further - just let me know. Have a great night.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It help me a little, but I'm talking about the outdoor light. I think are call flood lights.
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Yes.... the light I used in my illustration is only for that purpose. The illustration shows what wires get connected where. When wiring the sensor to any light, this is how you need to do it. Now your installing the photocell in the same box as the flood light correct?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, but the problem is that there is only 2 wires coming out from the flood light; a black and a white wire. But I have 3 wires on the sensor(photocell), black, red and white.
I dont know where to put the red wire, black goes with the black, and white goes with the white. There is no red wire on the flood light
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Ok what you need to do is take the black wire coming into the box and wire it to the black wire of the photocell. Then take the white wire coming into the box and wire it to the white wire of the light and the white wire of the photo cell. Then you take the red wire of the photocell and wire that to the black wire of the light. Does this help you?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Your welcome... good luck on the project. Have a great night.