Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

Why do my fern have worms.

Customer Question

well, there are little tiny worms and big worms in my fern. I've had the plant about a month. I noticed the worms about 2 days ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What do these worms look like?

What color, size(inches), any information will help.

Please be as specific as possible.

Thank you for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: the big worms looks black and they are about 3/4 to 1 inch long. the little ones are about 1/2 inch
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

Are the worms fuzzy? Perhaps they look like the image below? Where are these ferns growing?

graphic

Do any of the worms have markings or legs on them?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: yes, they are fuzzy and have legs also. the fern are hanging on the patio. Maybe the big worms are not as fuzzy as the image in the picture. they have 2 little antenas on the head. the ferns are hanging on the patio. There are a lot of trees with moss hanging on them in the landscape.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

These are caterpillars and will turn into butterflies and moths later on. Click here for more information. Early control recommendations include: Dipel which will leave a white residue on foliage, but very effective in eliminating caterpillars and is safe to use. Mavrik and Talstar are both very effective for caterpillars (worms) and act primarily as repellents.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward