Inactive, Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------

wiring a 220 volt recepticle for a welder.....from breaker

how do I wire a 220 volt recepticle for a welder.....from breaker box ...I have two 50 amp breakers available do I wire it to the recepticle from the breakers to get 220 volts to the welder...
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.
First what you need to do is find out the amperage of the welder itself. There should be a name plate on there that tells you what the amperage at 220v is. Now if in fact your welder is 50amp, you will need to make sure it has a 50amp plug on the welder itself and then install a 50amp receptacle of the same configuration from the breaker panel. For welders you only need 2 hots and a ground. There is no neutral in welder wiring. So here is what you need to do. For 50amp you will get 6-2 with ground wire. Within this wire you will notice a black and white wire and a braided ground. Or it may have a black wire and black with white stripe with braided ground. Either way you will take the two insulated wires and terminate them on the breaker itself and the braided wire will terminate on the ground bar. At the outlet, you will wire the same two insulated wires to the gold terminals of the outlet, and the braided ground on the green terminal. Now dont forget to bond the grounding wire to the metal outlet box (if applicable). Once you do all that your golden.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please dont hesitate to ask. Have a great night.