Suzanne
Suzanne, Owner/ Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 yrs in home experience - Appliance Service Field Technician
5816626

Jenn Air gas grill - burners only light on left ...

Customer Question

Jenn Air gas grill - burners only light on left side. there doesn't appear to be any visual clogs
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.
Is this an out door grill or an indoor grill?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Suzanne's Post: The grill is an outdoor model. It has three brass burners with small discharge holes on both sides of each I removed one of the burners and looked to see if there were any clogs. None visible. The gas enters into one end and then the internal channels of the burner would not be visible. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.
One of 3 things has occurred - 1 Spider web or spider 2 burners aren't centering on the valve stem 3 rust across the one side. Obtain a venturi brush or some long pipe cleaners and clean out the tubes. As you clean them tap the large opening on a solid surface a few times to see if any rust or debris comes out. Temporarily open the air vent a little more and reinsert on the valve and try the burner. Shut it off let it cool and reset the vent to where it was. Try it again. If you get a lot of debris or rust during the tapping it may be time to replace the burners.Although they are brass they do mix the metal with other metal and sometimes it will still rust or corrode. If it gets better but not as it should be clean it out some more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Suzanne's Post: Suzanne,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to look at the grill again until this weekend when I return from a business trip. I will let you know what I find.

Nick
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.
That's fine, have a successful and safe trip!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Suzanne's Post: Suzanne,

Thanks for your response. I tried each of the solutions you suggested. None of them seemed to work. I finally decided to replace the regulator. That seems to have fixed the problem to some degree. The burners don't seem to light easily on the right side, but they do light now. There still seems to be some problem with gas flow.
Expert:  Suzanne replied 6 years ago.
I still believe you have some debris blocking the flow of the propane. Propane is lighter than air so the slightest debris can prevent the gas from reaching the burner. You may have dislodged it when replacing the regulator. Was it just a regulator or regulator with hose?