Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
1967213

How do I remove a drop in stove

I need to remove my stove because I am getting new counter tops.

Could you clarify this a little. You indicate the "drop in stove." Is there a chance that you mean drop in "range" top? Meaning just the burners and not the oven. The oven would be located else where in the kitchen. If it is the drop in range and oven combined together is there 2 or three inches of counter top behind the burners toward the back splash area? And lastly is the same unit going back in after the new counter top?

Dennis (cut2it)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have an electric drop in range/oven combination, and yes, I will be putting the same unit back in. I have been told that it is really easy...remove the screws, unplug it, and pull it out. Can it really be that easy?

Thanks so much!!!
Angela

Good morning Angela, ..... Really easy ?????? Well, sort of ...... the problem is the "just pull it out" part. You will notice there is a panel across the bottom that matches the cabinets. Taking the unit out can damage this panel if it is pulled forward without raising it. This removal is a two man job due to the weight and need to lift up and out. Even then the "up & out" is awkward. An approach that really helps is to have a furniture dolly on the floor in front of the panel. On the dolly place something sturdy like a wooden box, stacked wood, etc., that is about two inches higher than the panel. As the range is eased out it can be set on the dolly and moved out to where the electrical cord is exposed. The reverse of this also make re installation quite easy.

Dennis (cut2it)

NOTE: Usually the "accept" button is selected at this point but if you have additional questions just get back to me first.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dennis M. Smith's Post: Thank you so much!!!!