Suzanne
Suzanne, Owner/ Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 yrs in home experience - Appliance Service Field Technician
5816626

when i plug in my ge range it dispalys bad Line

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Suzanne replied 9 years ago.
Have you ever used this range before? At this residence? Is it a new receptacle or cord?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Suzanne's Post: i just moved in and plugged the range in and it started an alarm and then the message came across "bad line" all of the breakers are on I even re set them this house is 3 years old and other people have lived here. this is not a brand new range, I found a pot in it.
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.
I have actually run across this very problem once before. It was very bizarre, but what happend is there was a dead short in an electrical line not associated with the range, it was on another circuit. And because of this short, it was causing an imbalance and some backfeed in the electrical system. Now the electronics of the range actually picked up this problem and shut itself down saying bad line. This problem did not correct itself until the short in the other circuit was fixed. What you will need to do is look for any breakers or circuits in the house that are not working properly, and maybe even go so far as to have an electrician come into your home to check out the wiring. Hope this helps.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Expert:  Suzanne replied 9 years ago.
Also is this 3 or 4 prong cord? If it is a 4 prong it may be wired incorrectly to the block in the stove (newer stoves are very sensitive to this since they utilize a lot of converted power converted to DC to make them efficient). I have also run across this problem. Since it is far less expensive and less strenuous for you to unscrew the plate on the back of the range first I would recommend checking that initially. Then check the house wiring and breakers as suggested by joseph. Always start at the source of the problem not in the middle so you don't miss anything.