Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
5098113

how do you wire for a nutone bath exhaust fan with ...

Customer Question

how do you wire for a nutone bath exhaust fan with night light / light / fan combo to a multi- 3- function switch
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.
Ok, first off you are going to need to have at least 3 hots and a neutral running to the light. You can accomplish this using a 14-2 and a 14-3, or 3 14-2's. Now at the switch you will wire the power to the gold terminal of the switch that is common to all 3 toggle switches. On the other side of the switch you will have 3 terminals. you will wire one of the black wires to one of those terminals, the second black wire to the second terminal and the 3 black wire to the 3rd terminal. All white wires will get wired together. (that was using 3 14-2 going to the new fan light.

Using 14-3 and 14-2:
Same procedure here, you will wire the main power line to the gold terminal of the switch that is common to all three toggle switches. next you will wire one of the black wires to the gold terminal, a red wire to the second gold terminal, and the last black wire to the 3rd terminal. Again all the whites will go together.

If you need further clarification, or need additional help, please explain more and i will be more than happy to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
so do all white wires at the fan housing connect?

white from fan and white from light
tie with white from 14-3 and 14-2?
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.
Yes im sorry, all the white wires at the fan will connect to eachother. Each of the hot wires will go to their respective devices, fan/light/nightlight. Sorry, forgot to tell you that.
Expert:  Inactive replied 9 years ago.
I just wanted to check in with you to see if you needed any additional help. If you do please let me know. Just to be clear on the wiring again at the fan, all the white wires from the fan will attach to the white wires to the 14-2/14-3. Thank you. Again, If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Have a great night.
Expert:  Rich replied 9 years ago.

Hi .. Joseph has corectly answered your question .. PLEASE accept his answer

Just be aware of the wire size you are going to use .. if the circuit is wired with #12 wire and connected to a 20 amp breaker you must use #12 wire in your installation ..

If the existing wire is #14 and connected to a 15 amp breaker then you can use #14 wire .. or #12 ..

Good luck .. Rich