Edward
Edward , Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling after moving it. Why?

I moved my refrigerator and now it won't get cold and the freezer doesn't freeze. It only gets slightly cooler than room temperature. We made sure to keep the refrigerator upright. It was running perfectly before the move. Please help. Thanks

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the make and model?

How long has it been running since the move?

Is the compressor hot to the touch?

Can you hear the fan running in the freezer?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It's a whirlpool large side by side about 2 - 3 years old
Don't know if compressor is hot to touch
I do feel cool air at my feet when I walk by the front of it
I don't know about the fan because I haven't listed for it
It's been running for a month
It was cooler the day we moved it but never reached the right temperature to preserve food
The temp declined over a week or so to barely more than room temp
Sorry I don't know more than this but can check tonite for more answers and write back tomorrow

Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

The make and model number will allow me to provide you a specific answer to the problem. I will reply when you have the needed information. Thanks for using Just answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It hasn't cooled since it was moved a month ago. Its a fridigaire electrolux side by side.

Could you tell me where the coils are? The back is covered with a screwed on panel...is this where I look? Do i need to take this off? I'll listen for the fan tonite.
Thanks

Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

A model number will allow me to provide more specific information. Yes, the coils are in the freezer compartment and the screwed on panel will have to be removed to view the coils. You can listen to the fan by pressing the switch that turns of the light in the refrigerator section. When the switch is pressed in with the refrigerator plugged in you should hear the fan inside the unit running, unless it happens to be in the defrost mode.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Here are some numbers I got off the fridge.
B1K 15L 14 - 04 FRS26F5A
Is this the model number?

Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the model number is FRS26F5A.

Click here for an exploded view of the coils in your refrigerator. Let me know what you discover and we can continue the diagnosis.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I could hear the fan running in the freezer but have not been able to get the back off yet to check the coils; however the back of the refrigerator is cool to the touch. I will get a neighbor to help me tonite with removing the back of the refrigerator. Could you please tell me if the coils are hot or not, what the problem could be either way or is there more to check depending on if they are hot or not?
Thanks!

Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

You do not have to remove the back of the refrigerator. The plastic panel in the freezer needs to be removed to gain access to the evaporator coil. The evaporator coils in the freezer should be cold. There should not be a large amount of ice built up on them. The condenser coil under the refrigerator should be warm if the compressor is running. Hot is OK for the condenser but not hot enough to fry an egg on. There are several possibilities of what the problem could be. The most common problems found are a bad defrost timer. If Ice buildup is found then the most common parts that can cause that problem are parts associated with the defrost circuit, heater, timer, thermostats, etc.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

OK thanks I'll check evaporator and condenser tonite and let you know.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

Thanks, I will continue with the diagnosis after you tell me what you find tonight.