Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

We have water backing up into our shower and bathtub when ...

We have water backing up into our shower and bathtub when we use the washer - the toilets flush fine - we had a plumbing company come out but said the drains are running fine - we started a load of laundry and woops again more water coming up in the showers ?? Any ideas why this would happen? And what do we do to fix it ?? It isn't sewer it doesn't smell that bad -
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. Often the main sewer or other parts of the drain can be clogged and cause this problem. Here is an example. Take a paper cup and put a small hole in the bottom. Now take another cup the same size and pour water into it. The water from that cup will never cause the water to over flow from the cup with the hole in it. If you pour water into the cup with the hole in it, from a larger cup, the water will overflow like the water backs up in the shower. The same thing could be happening to your plumbing causing the back up. As soon as the clogged drain gets filled up by the water being pumped out of your washer it will back up. The only other possibility would be the vent pipe from the plumbing being clogged. Something would have to be run down the vent pipe to verify that problem and remove the clog to fix it. The drain problem will most likely require a plumber. Most drain cleaners will do more harm than good.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.